Friday, November 9, 2012

Hangin' in there

A strong north wind blew snow along the slopes yesterday, only a skiff here in the bottom of the valley.  It was really howling, and Pearl and Lizzie had the right idea:
Sorry, had to use flash to get the photo! The wood stove is going non stop now, and my Christmas cactus is blooming.
Yep- two different coloured blossoms, two plants in the same pot.
I can't say as I welcome the onset of winter, but I am glad I live where I do, as Alberta has been getting some nasty weather for quite some time now. It's still green here, in fact the lawn is getting a little shaggy, but I'll let it stay long over the winter. The pasture is still holding out, but not growing much.


 We still have dandelions blooming and a few pansies and blue bacopa are hanging in there. I'm sure it won't be too much longer, to shovelling snow though. But I'm enjoying it while it lasts!




10 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I have been seeing out West and all the nasty weather on the TV you do live in just the right spot it appears. Love the last photo with the fence. Keep warm and I do think we will all be shoveling soon. I think you earlier than I but you never know. Have a nice weekend hope your weather holds. B

Dreaming said...

I sense a little melancholy in your post - I feel the same way. However, our climate tends to be on-again/off-again winter, so I know we will have those beautiful warm, sunny days in between bouts of snow.
We can both enjoy the anticipation and excitement, and the then the hush of the first blizzard!

Crystal said...

Ya I sure wish we had a longer fall, but maybe that will mean early spring here :)

cheyenne jones said...

I wish we`d had a summer!......Still, it could have been worse. I have always marveled how you do have summers and winters.

Linda said...

She's stormy here today too. I think I'm going to go buy me a Christmas Cactus....I had an old one that was past down a couple of generations that finally died and I miss it.

Susan said...

From the satellite picture it looked like the storm that's hitting us now blew right through you too. We got a few inches of snow and it's cold. My Christmas cactus is starting to bloom also.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

looks good to me! esp in light of the weather and roads the last few days here

Montanagirl said...

Nice job on the photos. My favorite is the last one with the wooden fence!

Ed said...

Excellent pics, that x-mas cactus is beautiful, enjoy the mild weather..:-)

Janice said...

Sigh....I wish I liked Creston..it almost has the perfect combination of weather.....almost. Nice pics. Pretty flowers...almost pushes winter away.