Monday, November 26, 2012

The Mud Knot

I got a comment from Jenn at Green Slobber on my Shirt blog (love that name!)about the knots I put in Beamer's tail to keep it out of the mud and promised to do a tutorial on it. Beamer's tail reaches the ground, and to keep it from breaking and getting stepped on, I use the Fisherman's knot. I put about a half dozen of them in rather than one big one, they stay in better.
Start by taking a section of hair,
wrap it over your palm and in front of itself,

take the end and run it behind,

over and through the loop in your hand:
and pull it through and tighten it.
Viola! A mud knot that stays in for a long time. I usually undo them after a couple of weeks and then redo them.
It's best to place them higher up the tail rather than near the end,and if the tail is a little bit dirty it works better than a nice clean, show-sheened slippery tail.
And yes, that is the way my lawn looks today. It needs mowing. At the end of November. Go figure!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

These work great if you use the longer, inner hairs and let the shorter ones drape over the little knots. Keeps them from getting caught on things and also still leaves the horse with a swatter.

Shirley said...

Yeah- don't really need a swatter at this time of year though!

Nikker said...

So easy looking! Sure hope that I can replicate this! :0)

aurora said...

I never noticed the knots, of course now I see them :)

Louisa Valentina; said...

Interesting, i've never noticed the knots on Beamer either! I've seen people do this, and then wrap them with vet wrap I think? (if not this exact knot, a similar one). Jingle's tail is always braided, and it's become a bit brittle lately, i've begun to use coconut oil in it to soften it (miracle product and CHEAP!), but if not maybe i'll try this, keeps the hairs a little more loose.

Crystal said...

Wish we had mud to deal with, and long green grass. I haven't seen my grass for weeks, not sure what it looks like but doubt its green.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I have Appaloosas, so this is not a skill I have had great cause to learn, but Phoenix does have a luxurious long tails so maybe...

Paint Girl said...

Thanks for the refresher course on doing mud knots! The other day I was thinking that I really needed to do this and thought of your mud knots from the last time you did a mud knot post, but forgot how you did it!! I am drowning in mud, as usual, and wanted to do this. Now I can!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh very smart. B

Sarah said...

great tip! I might have to try this with Reba's tale sometime.

Unknown said...

Great tip, will save that in my grooming notes.

Have to admit, I'm pretty envious of that grass!

Michele said...

wow, you have green grass still! nice! i love the way horse tails can be so elegantly done, and their mane too. nicely done, shirley! its quite handy too!

Montanagirl said...

Hmmm..it looks easy enough!

Shirley said...

I've added this post to my sidebar under Popular Posts for easy reference in the future.

lisa said...

Great tip!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

interesting.
when i worked on the track and the horses galloped or ran in the mud, I did this: split the tail into 2 pieces, tied a first knot kind of like you do, as far up as it goes. Then, take the two thick strands, and start first with one, and wind it up over that knot for a wrap, then do the same with the other thick strand in the opposite direction. continue wrapping up with both strands in opposite directions till you have a couple of inches left, then tie together in 2 figure eights (or a regular knot). Then spit on the knot! Don't know if the spit really works, but the knot always held for my horses' gallops and races!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Ed said...

Beamers stylin' :-)

cdncowgirl said...

I use knots like these too! I've never left mine in though, I'm worried that they'd get caught on something.
Usually I use them when I'm working the horses or grooming to keep the tail out of the way.

thecrazysheeplady said...

My mud knots never stay up...but never thought to do more than one... What a brain :-/. Thanks! :-)

Jenn said...

Yay! Thank you! I've never had luck with getting them to stay, but I was making one huge one instead of many smaller ones. We're heading into that super muddy time of year and I hate fighting the hard mud clods that end up on the end of all my horse's tails.