Both Rio and Josie are reacting to the spring grass this year; this is a first for me, usually the colts are on the pasture year round for a limited time each day, but this year the grass must be extra high in carbs as they get swollen "grass glands", so I'm taking them right off the grass for a while. Of course, this means getting their exercise in hand as I don't have a dry lot to turn them out on at the moment. Not a problem with Rio, being rideable, but miss Josie is going to kindergarten now to get her exercise. Shayla dropped by and I twisted her arm (grin) to get her to teach Josie to longe. It was pretty windy this afternoon, a nice strong south wind that blew in really warm temperatures. We all know how edgy horses can get in the wind, and apparently Josie "had the wind up her tail" at first, but smart little girl that she is it didn't take her long to get with the program.
I don't have a round pen at the moment, so Shayla took her in to their turn out pasture for the lesson.
She got it pretty good for a first lesson.
Lots of positive reinforcements.....
and a few more moments of red-headed 'tude.....
but overall she did really well.
15 comments:
She's a smart little horse and so much fun to work with. I think that the next time she's going to have it down pat!
What a pretty girl!
Glad Josie's doing so well!
I've never experienced or heard of grass glands - is it due to a particular type of grass or forage? We don't seem to have that around here.
I have a red headed mini named Rosie.....good times. :)
She's a beauty!
She looks great, just typical for a red headed temper :D
Josie looks great! Filling out nicely for a yearling.
cheri
Kate- I think it's the sugar content that affects the salivary glands in the jaw, they swell up, but it goes away fairly rapidly, usually overnight. Not sure why they are sensitive to the grass this year as compared to other years.
Im sure glad my ponies dont react to grass ....crossed fingers. She sure looks good such a pretty girl, I am sure getting to like reds :)
looks like she is taking right to it . the song line"shining like a penny in a little kids hand" popped into my mind when I saw her vibrant red !
I've not heard of this before and you'd think with all the grass here... I've already put the grazing muzzles on, hoping for no spring founders. Sigh... She's a lovely filly!
I am sure it's a little unsettling to have them react. Looks like Shayla did a nice job teaching Josie to lunge! It's hard to work with horses and take pictures too. Nice clear ones by the way, the color really pops!
Her color photographs beautifully against the mountains! She is a beauty:)
She is growing up so pretty! Our vet thinks it is some sort of bacteria/fungus on the new grass (Can't remember which.) that causes those glands to go up. Don't know any more than that but maybe it wasn't there in past years and is this year?
Awesome pictures! What brand camera are you using? I want pictures like that!
Post a Comment