Sunday, May 11, 2014

Flowers 'n' horses 'n' cows

My beautiful bouquet for Mother's Day from my darling daughter

Not a lot of horse activity here lately, we had to work an auction this weekend,( I got a set of leather covered oxbow stirrups for $15) and the horses kind of got ignored, so today, I decided it was time to work with Josie a bit and check out her feet, they were due for a touch up.


I took her to the hitching rail and groomed her, then did some basic leading work, stopping and standing square, lead and back in one smooth move; then on to moving the hip and shoulder. I did the basic exercise we learned in the Jim Anderson Clinic with Rio last month, then it was time to work on her feet.
Now, last time I did her feet she was awesome, I did it in her stall with her ground tied. This time, I managed to get the left front done, before Josie decided that she was. done. with . standing. when there was perfectly good tasty green grass at her feet that she.must.have. Now- I don't tie her solid to the hitching rail. I drape the rope over two times so it has a little resistance but will slip slow enough that I can get out of the way and then grab the rope.
Well, the pout was on; every time she set back and had a hissy fit, I made her work. Hip over, shoulder over, stop, back, go around me etc. Then I'd bring her back to the rail, throw the rope over, and go to pick up her foot to work on it. Rinse and repeat..... at least 10 times...... There comes a point with yearlings, that they stop benefiting from this kind of discipline; they sull up and stop learning. We were close to that point, so I changed it up a little, for the sake of getting the foot trimmed and to bring her back to a better place mentally. I ground tied her, and we got it done, with her snitching mouthfuls of that juicy grass whenever she could.

Silly filly, it only took a few minutes, instead of a half hour of resistance. Betcha she remembers the lesson tomorrow though, when I finish up her trim. I foresee lots of time at the hitching rail in her near future!
A note here about feet- don't neglect your babies and yearlings; every time we trim Josie, she has bar smear that needs to be removed. One foot had bar laid over to the lateral side, and one had bar spreading up towards the apex of the frog.

What more fitting way to end Mother's day than to have some of the mama cows move in today.
The horses don't mind them at all- Josie might get a little snorty because she doesn't have as much time around cows as the boys do, but Beamer and Rio like cows.
Cowz! There be Cowz!

Beamer and Rio, in their respective corners, surveying the sunset on a beautiful Sunday.

6 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

she sure is growing up beautifully! Yup yearlings do have a short window of patience with us , and sadly by times I think us with them

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Little brat needs some hours at the hitching post!

Dreaming said...

I could just picture your 'lessons'! It brought back memories of a friend with her babies. Such fun!
Lovely photos of the guys

Montanagirl said...

Lovely flowers and photos today - but I really, really like that photo with the cows in it.

Ed said...

Great shots, happy belated mums day..:-)

Michele said...

i love that close up of Josie. She looks like she is smiling :)