His feet were pretty bad, way overgrown and laid over bars, embedded bar, some flare and separation that will take some time to trim out. He did a lot of licking and chewing as I worked on him.
Left hind- you can see the overgrown bars curling in towards the frog, it must have been painful, poor guy. I was watching him run in pasture and thought he was short striding on the back- this would be why. I'll watch tomorrow and see if he is moving a little freer. I didn't complete the trim today, I like to take my time and make sure I'm doing a good job. Here is what this hoof looked like when I stopped for today:
He is starting to pick up, the deworming helped and he is on free choice Hoffmans Minerals, and on full turnout with the other horses as of today, as well as free choice hay at night.
The remnants of his winter hair are coming off, another week and he should be all slicked off like his brother and sister.
Hooligans!
Once he is in better shape, his neck and rump should fill out, and he will look much better. He has a long way to go before he is in as good shape as Rio!
My plan is to finish trimming his feet tomorrow, and then starting next week schooling begins in earnest.
10 comments:
I really enjoy your hoof photos and explanations of what you've done, what you see, how you're fixing it. I know you'll have him ship-shape in no time!!! (0:
There is still a lot of work to do detailing the bars, addressing the flare and the thrush. It's a work in progress!
Love the picture of the three of them dancing!
His feet will be better in no time Shirley!
Oh poor Kia but you are very skilled and I can see he is in excellent hands. LOVE all your photos. Hug B
I think its kinda cool how they look bay in the sunlight.
He sounds like hes coming around, wont be long till your out riding him around
Just beautiful!
she is skilled. my sis is going to teach me how to ride again too :D not to mention, my hubs! :D
He's looking pretty good already... can't wait to see what he looks like in a few weeks after being on full grass & Hoffmans (omigosh I love that stuff!)
What an improvement on the feet and condition already!
not sure what happened with him, but I am glad he is back with you now. You will have him right as rain in no time
Post a Comment