Friday, May 16, 2014

Kai

Since Kai isn't accustomed to long hours on grass yet, I kept him in the bigger stall that Rio and Josie share when I turned them out today. Then when I came home, I turned him out on one of the paddocks that has been grazed down a bit, while his siblings went out on the longer grass in the next paddock. I made sure to bring my camera, and I wasn't disappointed. Kai had a blast running around!
He flags his tail like Rio does.  I think he enjoyed having flat ground to run on, as he has been in rolling land for the last 3 years.
Kicking up his heels just like his daddy does.

I don't know why but this picture makes me smile.

That stuff on his muzzle is dewormer, he got Eqvalan Gold today.
On the other side of the fence, Rio and Josie were having a blast too.


I think Kai is going to have a lot of fun with them once I get them all together.

I did get a preliminary trim on those front feet today. He wasn't perfect, but he wasn't bad; I think just being patient with him will go a long way.
I measured him- after I trimmed his feet- and I was pleasantly surprised to see that he is actually a little bit over 15 hands! I guess he just looks tiny compared to his "little" brother, Rio.
But doesn't he just look like Beamer in this next photo!

5 comments:

lytha said...

There's a stallion I love in our state named Prognoz, a Russian Arabian. His conformation is wonderful, amazing legs, and he has a neck that is almost too long, and children can groom him, he's so gentle. I tried very hard to buy one of his babies, but was short 3K Euros. The daughter I wanted had his good bone, but didn't even look much like an Arabian. I saw some of his other kids too, and they look nothing like each other, and nothing like him. I almost can't believe it, that a stud can not pass on anything! That wouldn't be Beamer's problem. (Here's a photo of the horse who cannot seem to reproduce correctly: http://wgd82aefn.homepage.t-online.de/Bilder/Prognoz%20gross.jpg)

Montanagirl said...

He's very beautiful.

Shirley said...

Lytha, I copied the link to my browser but it didn't work. Yes, Beamer really does consistently put his mark on his babies; talking to Janice last night she said the profile shot of Kai is almost identical to her mare Jazz, the full sister. Where Rio got his size from is the thoroughbreds in his dam'r ancestry, but other than that he is much the same as his siblings.

Crystal said...

very cool, you and Shayla and Janice ought to get together and all ride that be cool!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun to see him run around! :)