Kai is settling in well, getting daily turnout with his siblings and in a separate stall at night- but today, I had to change things up as his stall is too exposed to the rain, and it's getting muddy, with our usual rainy June looming it was time to put him in with one of the others. I had thought of having all 3 of them together in the big stall, but a couple of minutes of testing that out ruled it out- way too much horseplay for confined quarters. He and Rio can get a little rough with each other- okay out in pasture but not in the stall.
So now Rio is right next to Beamer- no dividing alley, and Beamer is so happy to have his buddy Rio to talk to and nuzzle and nip, and Rio is really good with not pestering his daddy.
Josie and Kai get along really well too, I think she is happy that Kai isn't as big as his brother- but she really held her own with Rio, so Kai will be a piece of cake for her.
Here is what the new set-up looks like:
I did a touch up on Kai's front feet today, I was happy that some of the bar that I had thinned out had popped and could be easily trimmed off, now he can grow healthy sole. He was easier to handle today too, I think his feet are more comfortable for him. Back feet get done tomorrow.
I have been doing a little bit of ground work every time I handle him; today I did the rope around the butt exercise- he sure didn't like that at first, but he got it pretty fast. I think he has bluffed his way through life so far- "get jumpy or resistant and then people leave you alone" is what he seems to be doing- but Hah! That doesn't work with me. I always insist that he comply, but without getting harsh with him.. I'm going to treat him like a 2 yr old that knows nothing and put him through my whole program from the ground up. Even though he may have done some of these things before, I don't know him well enough yet, so he gets the basics first. We'll build a good foundation.
Meanwhile, he can play, and graze, and fill out.

6 comments:
seems like a pretty good plan
I think that's going to work well!
Always fun to see your kidz:)
Always fun to see your kidz:)
Your horse photos always keep me coming back!
Always love seeing Beamer!
Post a Comment