Sunday, October 26, 2014

Beamer's kidz

Headed up to see Janice and her horse Jazz on Saturday, Shayla trimmed her and did a follow up to the body work done on her earlier in the month. This mare is full sister to Rio, Kai and Nitro, and she is a beauty.
She had several spots that needed adjusting. Aurora was asking for more info on using Essential Oils on horses; they are a part of everything I do including caring for my horses. In this instance, Shayla would hold a bottle up and wait for the horse's reaction- if she showed interest, the oil was used, if disinterested, it was a "no, I don't need that one".
Where the oil is applied depends on the properties of the oil. For example, this oil is StressAway, if she had liked it, it would have been applied in her nostrils. Oils that are for the release of spasms in muscles would be applied directly to the area being worked on. Other oils, perhaps on the belly for the digestive system, like the other day when Jazz was showing signs of colic and Janice applied DiGize oil blend as she hand walked her for an hour- with good results I'm happy to say! One oil that horses seem to like is Release, and most people like it too. It releases negative energy, either mentally or the negativity that can be toxic to flesh. We always use it on areas of the horse that are the most tight and painful. Another one is Grounding, usually applied on the poll, which Shayla is doing in this next photo.

All the oils I use are Young Living oils, the foremost leader in essential oils in the world, with their Seed to Seal guarantee.
They are unbelievably effective. I have been using them for nearly 10 years and won't be without them.
Here is a photo of one of the stretches that she did, the "drunken sailor" pose:
Heeheee looks worse because I had the camera on an angle, but if I straightened the photo it would cut off part of the horse.
Anyway.... we have some news...... drum roll....... Shayla now owns Nitro! Dave gave her a good deal on him and he will be staying with us for a little while until Shayla can take him to Alberta with her, probably in the spring, which is prefect- she is putting a couple of weeks training on him and then he will be given time off for his knees to close up and go back into training next year when he is 3.

Of course, she's over the moon about it! I'm very glad she got him- he will have a future as a barrel horse, which I have always believed is what he is called to do.
Also..... more drum rolls please..... I made a deal with her on half ownership of Josie  I'm excited for the future of these two horses, they are in good hands! And she will have her hands full too because she also has another yearling barrel prospect!
I was asked for an update on Rio- Shayla did one on her blog. While you are visiting there check out her posts on her time at Sandy Collier's in California!

13 comments:

T.L. Merrybard said...

Lots going on there. Golly that is one pretty mare! Just the sort of head I love!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Shayla and Nitro a perfect match.
I love your explaining oils. You are very wise. Hug B

aurora said...

Nice photo of Jazz, pretty girl. Thanks so much for sharing the EO info (complete with pics!) it's all very interesting!! I started mixing & using them more in depth this year at home, but have not used them on animals. You don't use a carrier oil on more sensitive areas? Their sense of smell is so keen, I would think the oils would be too strong otherwise. It's great that EO's work for horses.

Congrats to you & Shayla on the exciting news!!

Montanagirl said...

The horse are beauties, and Shayla looks very pleased!

Shirley said...

Aurora- the only time I use a carrier oil is if it's a really hot oil and it also depends on where it is being applied. For example, if I use Oregano, which on humans is hot, and I put it on the frog of a hoof to combat thrush, I wouldn't use a carrier oil. The carrier oils aren't used because of the sense of smell, they are used to cut the heat when applied to the skin.

Anonymous said...

A fine looking group of horses.

My horses love the smell of Sore-no-More, which has a number of herbs in it, including arnica and lavender.

aurora said...

I've not used carrier oils, altho I've been told & read they are used to avoid skin burn. I would think it would lessen the intensity of scent as well. Doesn't sound like it does. So much to learn! Thanks again Shirley!!

lisa said...

I like the idea of the one for colic, my Annie is very prone to it. She actually had a bad one about three weeks ago. Glad to see everyone is doing good.

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you for sharing...I know very little about the use of these oils. You sure have had a lot going on since I was here last. So busy! All the horses are gorgeous and seem to be doing well.

CDH said...

Appreciated the explanation of the oils...sounds like a great add to horse care. I'm definitely going to look into the oils.....hubby will laugh, but too bad! Lol!
The B Man sure throws nice looking kids! Wow!
Cheri

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Great news all around! Nice to see Jazz! she sure is a beauty

Haddock said...

Never knew that there were so many types of oils. Like you said knowing the right one and applying at the right place is the tricky part.

Janice said...

That little brat sure takes a nice pic for you, she sees me coming with a camera and does the goofiest things.She is certainly feeling better it's really too bad Shayla is moving away......uh well I will just have to keep on with my pathetic attempts at relieving her discomfort....something is better than nothing.