Friday, October 24, 2014

Just one of those days

After a very rainy day off yesterday, Kai and Nitro got worked today. Dave brought Nitro over in the morning, and Shayla worked him first. Started out fine, but he got pretty strong for a while, testing her every which way but they did get it sorted out and she had a nice first solo ride on him.
While that was going on I bitted Kai up, and then took him out on the lawn to see how he did with some of the schooling moves. He had gotten ramped up watching his little brother, and, as we discovered later, had some body issues likely from the trail ride the other day. He was fussing, not wanting to yield his shoulders, and seemed "stuck" and was getting crabby. I wasn't getting anywhere with him, so Shayla got on him- same results, so back to the round pen he went.Sometimes it's a big step forward and two steps back, that's how it goes with colts. After a pretty intense session of ground work, she did get back on and got better results. The body work session afterwards helped, ribs, scapula and elbows adjusted, then Shayla checked and darned if he didn't give his shoulder both directions as nice as pie. So, apparently Kai is the kind of horse that will always let you know when there is something wrong with him.
I was asking him to move his hip to the right.....
 Even his expression in some of the before photos showed that pickle face, but after being worked on he was much happier. We used several Young Living oils on him too.
The boys spent an hour or so tied to the hitching rail after their workouts. I hope it all sank in and they will be better boys tomorrow!

We will be heading to go work on Jazz (their full sister) tomorrow, and this time I will remember my camera!

5 comments:

aurora said...

Not sure if my comment posted (viewing via Bloglovin') or not after I did the verification? I apologize in advance if posts 2X. I hopped on your blog afterwards via Blogger, and don't see the verification now. Weird. For once, I remembered to copy my comment before hitting publish, just incase it disappeared...here it is:

They sure do all need reminders, and lots of them when they are young. That's a couple of handsome guys on the rail. Wish I could get body adjustments after working out, lucky horse! It would be interesting to read more in-depth on how/when you use EO's with your animals.

CDH said...

Working with young horses can be so rewarding when that light bulb finally goes on! And so frustrating!
It's nice to have a pony that let's you know when he's not feeling right....Cameron's horse Junior does that....he gets that pickle face too! Lol!
Cheri

Shirley said...

Hmm interesting- I don't have WV set up so if it is showing up on another browser it isn't my doing. I noticed the same thing on Karen's blog Life at the Rough String when I accessed it from her FB page.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wow! they sure look good side by side.Nice to have Shayla around she seems like she is a great hand with a horse

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful boys! Chance says Happy Birthday to Tess! :)