While Shayla warmed up her mare, I lead Kai around the arena, both ways. He was relaxed, looked at a couple of things, but absolutely no silliness. We did try ponying him but he wasn't too keen on that.
Once he remembered all his lessons- (he's had two days off!) Shayla got on.
I got to putter around on Allie while Shayla worked Kai. We played follow the leader around the arena;
Kai did really well! So happy with this boy. After that, Shayla worked on trotting circles- that didn't go so well, partly I think because of the size of the arena; Kai is a lot like his daddy and is comfortable in confined spaces, I think he got a bit lost with all that space and wasn't paying attention to Shayla's cues. He came running over to me and Allie, and stopped. So we created a smaller space by using me and Allie as a "wall" and using a corner of the arena- that worked much better and got him focused on what was being asked of him. That's the neat thing about horse training; there is a solution to every problem, and if you can read your horse's needs you can always find a way to make things work. Anyway, I videoed that part, and it shows some of the steering exercises- serpentines.
A little more follow the leader, and we called it a day for Kai. I had him ground tied, and he spotted a black cow off in the bush- what does he do but trot across the arena to investigate what the heck that black thing was! No spooking or running away- he was just curious. Shayla caught him and ponied him some more.
So- a good session! Tomorrow we will use a smaller arena, and the goal is to make sure he improves on his steering, and walk trot and lope both ways. After that, we can go back to the bigger arena. I'd like to be able to trail ride a bit by next weekend, just have to make sure the controls are in place first!
9 comments:
What fun! And thanks for the great pics!
Hi Shirley, loving this with Kai, just a quick question, I notice you are using a felt pad on Kai and other horses. Do you prefer them? Or is it a preference etc? I am still looking for a good pad, one that will allow me to do considerable mileage, but not restrict the horse.
What a beautiful setting for an arena! Nice that you've have access to it. Sounds like Kai's training is going very well and you'll be heading out on the trail soon!!
He looks awesome, and I agree with Kate...Great Pics!
Cheyenne- this is a pure wool felt pad.
I have never sored a horse using wool felt. I have also used neoprene pads with blankets added to get the desired thickness according to saddle fit, but my go-to pad for everyday use is usually wool felt. There are several brands out there, this one is Diamond Wool, most people will agree that 5 Star are the best, I just couldn't afford one at the time. They have a denser felt than Diamond Wool does.
Hi Shirley, yeah, been on their site. They are a tad on the costly side! But horse first.
I need to save up!! But thanks for the info, I take it thats marino wool felt.
Looks good, first time in a big arena I can imagine he actually needs to steer. He looks good, kinda nice hes not spooky and more curious
Lovely animals - and that last photo is very cool.
Post a Comment