Saturday, February 27, 2016

Solo..... *grin*

Another beautiful day today! Shayla came over to be there for me while I took Josie on her first solo ride.
I saddled her up for this, and she stood quietly for saddling. (The saddle pad is too big, it makes her neck look short, which it is not.)

Off to the round pen, where I followed my usual program of ground work, and added in moving and flapping the stirrup fenders. Also did the ground reining; about 40 minutes of ground work.
I mounted from the fence again, she does so well with positioning herself for that. Good girl, Josie!

We started out with Shayla on the get-down rope, then after a little bit she handed it off to me and we were going solo.


I'm really happy with this filly! She is a sweetheart. A dirt bike went by as I was riding, and she didn't turn a hair; as well a couple of trucks stopped on the road just over the fence from us and she ignored them too, just kept her mind on what I was asking her. All in all a very successful first ride. She stayed nice and soft in the bridle, didn't get goosey or try to speed up, just did what was asked of her.


I think from start to finish was about 20 minutes on her back. We did some standing around while Shayla and I chatted too, and she just stood there. I think she is going to be a pretty sensible riding horse. 


9 comments:

Janice said...

What a good girl. She reminds me of Okie.

Shirley said...

Yes, she has that same sweetitude that Okie had.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

wonderful! You do such a nice job starting young ones!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Looking good!

Linda said...

She looks so, so calm!!! You are off to the races, Cowgirl! I think she is going to be one of those GOLDEN horses.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Well done!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah Josie, so calm and ready to please you. What a good girl! :)

Anonymous said...

i love the last photo the best. truly wonderful.

aurora said...

How rewarding!