Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Building a foundation

Yesterday's work was interesting.
Coulee was much more relaxed and we got some really nice in hand work. One thing I noticed is that she takes exception to the stick; for example when I was asking for turns on the haunches from the ground, using my hand at  the shoulder and touching her with the stick at the throatlatch, she would give it the "get that d@#m thing away from me" glare, but if I asked with just my other hand there she willingly complied. So that got me to thinking about how I wasn't offering her a soft feel first. I think this mare has had people start out tough with her because of her innate bitchiness- and deservedly so sometimes! But also I need to watch for those moments when a soft feel is all she needs, because she does respond so well to it. I think she wants to be good most of the time. But she is so defensive.
She was content to just walk when I sent her around, but when I asked her to speed up, I did get a little bit of 'tude as you will see in the video. Mostly ear pinning and tail swishing- no buck. So she has a ways to go yet.

Once again it was a shorter session, to get her to the point where she would follow me. She didn't 100% join, but it was a decent effort. I introduced backing and coming to me at liberty; I started with the halter on and worked at it until I could just have the rope slack and use hand signals for come her and back up. It was kind of fun! We quit when she did that well. Then she got to wear the rope crown for being a good girl.
I'll take small improvements, because that's how you build up to the partnership and respect required to make this a safe mare to ride and handle.

5 comments:

Linda said...

It seems like she's coming around pretty quick. Love the last picture!! The soft feel takes time to find with each horse and, unless you're spending a few hours a day, every day, in the saddle, you may have to find it again and again with the same horse. It seems like, when you get it right on the ground together, the saddle part is going to be easy.

aurora said...

Great progress. Love the rope crown, on such a pretty girl!

Linda said...

I'm happy you're happy with her.

Far Side of Fifty said...

She had a good day!! And you too! :)

C-ingspots said...

What a good girl! She looks like she did very well for you in the video. I don't think she's showing too much attitude, after all, us girls have those darned hormones we're dealing with. I can totally relate. I really love mares, maybe that's partly why. She really likes her whoa! I like that too. :) Interesting when you mentioned that she does not appreciate the stick but does ok with your hand, reminded me of my Harley horse. He always had a lazy side and a stubborn streak that showed up when asked to work. If I asked too strongly, he became more stubborn or defensive - but I tried whispering requests to him, and wow, did he ever respond! Completely different response. He listened more intently and responded in kind when I changed how I asked. Was very interesting to me. Maybe your little mare prefers "whispers" too. She is lovely.