Thursday, June 2, 2016

Murphy's law (edited)

If it can go wrong it will. I have been wanting to get to riding Coulee but every time I make plans to ride something throws a wrench into the works. Yesterday, I trimmed her front feet, today I trimmed the hinds.  I was pretty ticked off when she was not cooperating and squealed and kicked, sending me flying. For a horse that was previously owned by a farrier, I wasn't expecting that. So I had a little discussion with her- no, not a physical one, just a verbal one in an unmistakeable tone. I think she got the message. However, I decided that discretion is the better part of valour and used a cotton rope to pick her foot up after that.  I did get her trimmed, and she didn't kick out again. However- she is tender on her front feet, so I have to wait a couple of days- again- to ride.
And there is another thunderstorm.
So- maybe next week I will get to ride! Sheesh! I'm starting to think I need 2 riding horses just so I don't forget how to ride!
No Coulee, I am not impressed with you.
Just went out for the evening feed and went to pick up a front foot- another squeal and she pulled away and took off. Very not impressed with her. I'm getting too old for that crap, so she may end up being for sale, no matter how nice she rides- if I ever get around to riding her to find out. 
EDITED: Ok I'm over being mad at her. I had a chat last night with the lady that bred her and she used to give her a shot to keep her from being in heat. This is the first mare I have owned who is so... marish. That being said- well..... I did breed her to Beamer last week- and maybe that is just what she needs. I sure hope it helps to settle her. I wasn't going to breed her this year, but my gut instinct was telling me to breed her. So we shall see!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Never a dull moment with horses!

T.L. Merrybard said...

I love mares and nearly always owned them, but one mare I had got so silly when in season. She would spook at things (including me!) act hypersensitive to touch, saddles, noises, you name it. I learned to just let all the hard stuff go for those days and she'd soon be back to her easy-going, sweet self.

Not sure a pregnancy will sort the hormone issues forever, since I seem to remember reading that it doesn't, but it will certainly fix them for now. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

"marish" Crap. Maybe double crap. Nightmarish.
We only ever had mares...and struggled with two of them when they were in heat. The neighbors had geldings and never had problems.
I am so sorry she is walking the fine line with you.

Linda said...

Our alpha mare is always kind of beechy with the farrier, yet she's excellent on the trail. Maybe it's the same with her.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aurora said...

Don't blame you for being mad at her bad manners while trimming. So sorry! I am truly hopeful you can come to an understanding, get out & enjoy riding together. It's hard to know what you are getting until you really spend time with horses raised by others. Coulee & Beamer should make for a beautiful cross, how exciting!!

Judy said...

Why did the previous owner (farrier) not teach her proper manners when trimming? Frustrating for you and her...

T.L. Merrybard said...

Judy, I'm not sure it's about manners as such. My Poss had perfect manners the rest of the time. She just couldn't help herself when in season. It really fried her brain.

I do think, however, that in the spirit of full disclosure when selling a horse (to give them the best chance of the right home) the owner having to get her a shot every season should have been part of the info that was given before sale.

lisa said...

Oh my, sounds like your having fun being a farrier ;( I think I already forgot how to ride! I know you have no problems :)

Shirley said...

The kicking is definitely an issue.She kicked my old dog Reba today. That is an unpardonable sin.