The bay mare wasn't quite what I wanted. For starters, they advertised her as being 14.3 hh but she was more like 14.1 hh. Yes she was quiet and broke, but she felt dull. She had a really sleepy eye. I want something with a bit more feel. She was also quite footsore, and I didn't want to deal with rehabbing her feet. So the search is still on.
Coulee got kicked in the ribs by a mare that is in for breeding, and it is quite a contusion and sore so I'll put off riding her for a couple of days while it heals up. Dang it all anyhow. Just when I was getting somewhere with her. Oh well, I will use the time to get her over being worried about me handling her sore spots- she is already doing better; at first she pinned her ears and wouldn't let me touch her there but I cold hosed her, then she let me put arnica gel and peppermint oil on, and even dropped her head and relaxed. Poor girl!
Well at least she can recuperate in her grass paddock that I set up with electric fence. To think that I used to mow this!
5 comments:
Perhaps the horse was medicated. A reining horse shouldn't feel dull, or most any horse for that matter. I would run the other way too. Sorry to hear about Coulee.
One step forward, two steps back. Hope Coulee heals up fast. On the bright side, it could have been much worse. A visiting gelding kicking in my gelding's face a couple of years ago, fracturing his nose in multiple places. I dread introducing new horses--for good reason.
I hope she heals quick.....my Snick horse came up lame during branding and I feel lost without him but George had to do the job and he's just getting better and better....a good thing!
Oh no just as you were getting somewhere, hope she heals up quickly, I hate when they are sore
maybe you are still getting somewhere, a little tlc and trust building perhaps? I guess just looking for the silver lining
Post a Comment