Friday, March 3, 2017

Walkabout

Day 1 of 100 Day Challenge
The snow is softening up but still a bit deep to ride through as it is heavy and wet, not good for horses who aren't legged up yet.
Since Beamer is very bored, I opted to take him on a walkabout. We headed up to the house and I invited him to come and check out Ted in his shop- got his head in the door to say hi, and then we went up to the road to check out the spring run off.
The road is good for riding on now, no ice left, so I could ride him down it. But we enjoyed our walk.
Looking back at the mares talking to him.

Nanananana I get to go out!

That barn shaped building in the background is our house. As you can see, we have plenty of snow left, but today we have light rain so I'm hoping it will all just go away!
As we made our way back, we passed along the fenceline of the mares, they were all prancing and running around, which of course had Beamer thinking like a stud, but he's such a good boy that even though he got his energy up and was doing his best to strut his stuff, he never pulled on the lead rope. Of course it helped that I had my stock stick with me, I showed it to him- waved it in front of him a couple times and he was good.
Oh those feet! She is next in line for a trim.
Really Beamer? You had fun? Well, maybe next time I'll saddle you up and we will go a little further.

The robins have been back for a while now, I tell you it really gives me spring fever when I hear them!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Our Robins aren't back yet. That is a good omen when they do return! So yeah, the mares are definitely excited about spring here, too. They're awful with our new gelding. They all need to be worked with more, but like you, there's not a great place to ride. I took Leah to the indoor last night and even it was flooded from the melting. It was good practice for her to ride through the puddles, but I worry about her slipping. Oh, spring, please come early!!!

Crystal said...

Yay rain that will make a mess but it should get rid of the snow!

lytha said...

I miss north american robins more than any other bird. the blackbirds here (a relative of them) are lovely in song, but not that robin song that i love so much.

aurora said...

Bet it felt good to get out & explore. Beamer makes the greatest faces & blue looks so good on him!

Far Side of Fifty said...

No Robins here and we still have plenty of snow. Beamer is so funny...but what a handsome boy! :)

lisa said...

Beamer sure looks wonderful. The horses look happy and love their home!