I have to say, all week, I had the song Heartache by the numbers running through my mind.... wondering how the heck I was going to come up with something for this week's challenge.
Then this happened
I was a little dismayed when I opened the book...
and saw how tiny the names and numbers are!
But with the help of my magnifying glass- which, by the way, is not as effective as the zoom on my cell phone camera- I was able to find the record of the very first Quarter Horse to be registered. He goes by the unlikely name of Wimpy and he has registration number 1.
Of note, Beamer's sire, Peppy A Poco was also born on the King Ranch in Texas and like the majority of the old horses on the King Ranch also goes back to their foundation sire, Old Sorrel. The King Ranch preferred sorrels, and sold many of the foals that weren't red, hence Beamer's sire was put in their annual yearling sale, as he was a seal brown.



10 comments:
That’s really cool. I do love a sorrel, and that Wimpy was a big boned, strong looking fellow. I remember you saying Beamer was from those lines at the King Ranch. That’s awesome. How many books are there in the set now?
That's really interesting. Wimpy was a fine looking horse.
Sorry about your friend passing. You are the perfect person for this treasured set of unique books. They are super special!! You did a fantastic job capturing and sharing this story for the SS number theme!
Linda- I have only ever heard of these two volumes.
The breed began in the year 1660? And TBs in the 1700s? And Arabians, officially, in the late 1800s? Here's a disenchanting fact, for me, the birthplace of the Arabian, Syria, finally has an Arabian horse registry - as of 2007. Wish I knew why one of the oldest breeds, Arabians, were just word of mouth all those years. You are so lucky you can trace your horses through hundreds of years.
Thanks for sharing Wimpy's story! Interesting! Great take on the numbers!
Lytha- the breed registry was formed in 1941. There is a verbal and written history of many of the foundation horses going back centuries but the actual breed standard was set in 1940 and the registry began taking horses in 1941. There used to be a requirement that AQHA inspectors would go to the horses people wanted to register and inspect them to see if they conformed to the breed standard and bloodlines. Once there were enough horses registered and the requirement that each horse must be the produce of a registered QH or have one parent who was a registered Thoroughbred who was accepted as breeding stock by the Association, that requirement was lifted.
God grant John eternal rest.
If Sunday Still had a winner, this would be it!
This is probably my fav take on the theme this week! What a cool thing to receive. My condolences though on the passing of your friend.
Post a Comment