Tuesday, June 16, 2026

Several firsts

 The first "first" is not one I wanted to see. Tuffy managed to get an owwy. He had bright blood on his pastern; a small tear from who knows what. I rinsed it ( blood still flowing) and applied Schreiners solution and once the blood slowed down, put Manuka honey on it. 

If you dont like to see wound photos skip the next image.  But I do post them here for easy reference for me. 



No idea what he snagged it on. 

Second first: This morning's session was an introduction to the horse trailer.  First he had to be led beside his mama, which went quite well. Led them out of their familiar pen, then into the round pen where I turned them loose while I went to get the ration for Happy. I do like to lead them beside their mama when they are going to a strange environment. The round pen is all grass, no sand, so they enjoyed grazing. 


I set the feed tub on the pallet bridge wanting Tuffy to be ok with new objects and hopefully put a foot on it. Bonus- he has started to eat  with mama, which is Purina's mare/foal ration. He loves it, whereas he wouldn't eat the Step I  for mares and foals. I think it is a bit softer. 

He didn't see the point of stepping on it...

Next up, the third 1st. 
Since they had eaten the feed I tossed the tub in the trailer, which I had set up the night before the same way I did for Rally. 
Led Tuffy up to the trailer so he could investigate. 

Protective mama


Let me go first, son, to see if it is safe...


Mama says, it is

Tuffy: Ok, if you say so

At this point, Happy went all the way in to check on that feed tub, so I stepped out in case she tried to turn around to get out. 
I turned Tuffy loose then and wanted to see what he would do. I was content with the lesson that he had put one foot in the trailer and was about to call it a day.

Tuffy however, wasn't done. I love the curiosity of this colt. I once heard Richard Shrake saying that curiosity in a colt is a sign of intelligence, and it stuck with me. Seems to be true. 

What's this all about? 

Mom went in so it must be ok....


It made a funny noise! 


Well not much to see in here!


Let's see, how to get down....



Nothin' to it!

I finally got his dna panel test results as well as his registration completed. He is officially Jess Tuff Enuff, and is 6 panel clean. 

I may yet do the roan test on him, but there is no need to test for grey as it is clearly seen coming in around his eyes. 

So I can now catch him anywhere- out in the field, in the barn or shelter, no problems. I think he expects it every time he sees me. I will give him a few days to heal up before I mess with his feet again, don't want him to associate picking up his feet with pain; but he is doing very well with allowing me to put the foot down instead of pulling it away. 

What a good colt!!!

6 comments:

aurora said...

Ouch! Sorry Tuffy got hurt. The work you've put in made a difference. You could doctor the owie at his young age. Had to look Schreiners solution up. Looks like good stuff.

How fun that Tuffy decided to check out the trailer on his own. Love it! I agree, curiosity is a sign of intelligence. It is how we/they learn.

TeresaA said...

Ow Tuffy! I agree that curiosity is a sign of intelligence. He’s a good one.

Firn said...

Such a non-event to teach loading when they're so little!

Linda said...

Foxy came in with a similar owy last night, but higher, and we walked the pasture looking for the culprit—couldn’t find it. They sure find ways to get into trouble, even at 30+. So glad you had him ready to handle for doctoring. Tuffy continues to live up to his name!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Must have been a stick or something, sure hope it heals up okay. What a good boy doing the trailere all by himself!

Val Ewing said...

Curious equine are thinkers aren't they? At least that is how I feel about them.
I used to have mule foals pull things out of my bucket of fencing tools and drop them in their water. I swear they did it just to see me react.

Tuffy looks great and probably was exploring something!