Peppy got his first ribbon, and it was first place! ( for my American friends, red ribbons are first pace in Canada). Unfortunately, there were only two horses in the class, so it doesn't mean much; but the whole idea is to get him out into the show world, and get some experience, so in that aspect, it was a success.
Of course, he stood still until the judge came to inspect him and then he fidgeted and hollered for his mama, but overall, he was a good boy. I'm sure the judges don't expect babies to stand still like a seasoned horse, and he did lead and travel well at the trot. He looks ribby right now even though he is on good pasture and getting grain every day; he is in a growth spurt and I think that is why he isn't a little fatter; all the other horses in pasture with him are quite plump.
This is my friend John from Bar Diamond Y Quarter Horses on Peppy's lead shank. I will be featuring his palomino horses in my next post. Those stripes on Peppy just behind his elbow are called poverty stripes; they mimic the ribs but are actually a coloration; his dam has them too. I had a comment asking what Peppy's colour is called; he is a blue roan even though his head is not pure black. A blue roan must have an even mixture of black and white hairs for his body colour, and that is exactly what he has. Remember, at 4 months, he hasn't shed all of his baby hair yet.Tomorrow he gets a bath again and on Sunday we go to his second show where he is entered in two classes; weanling halter and stallions all ages. I hope there will be more entries so that it is a little more competitive!
6 comments:
Congratulations to you and Peppy! I think it is funny because I can always tell a Quarter Horse owner from an Arabian owner because the QHers called my flea-bitten gray a blue roan when he was younger and had less gray (or white).
Thanks! The difference between a gray and a blue roan is that the roan colour doesn't fade to white over the years like gray does; also blue roans have black points- their legs below the knee, the edges of their ears, and they have dark heads that don't roan out like the body does.
Well hats off to Mr. Peppy! This is just the beginning, buddy. There be plenty more of those coming your way:0)
My gosh, it's like his legs are perfect!
Awww, congratulations! He looks fantastic (and you too)! Wonderful job!!
WOO HOO!!!! Way to go Peppy! Great job you too! YOu both looked wonderful! I still can't get over how fast he is growing!
Congratulations to Peppy, and you too, you guys did a wonderful job!
Post a Comment