Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Beamer



The men were busy working on an addition to the barn today; a shelter for the mares, so I went for a little ride on Beamer. Afterwards, I let him chow down on the grass in the alleyway which totally occupied his attention; that is, until he spotted the mares!
He is actually fairly well behaved around them; to test this, I rode him over to the fence where the mares were hanging out in the shade; every time he hollered at them, he had to work; I made him spin, then rest with his back to them. His reward was to relax facing them and only a few feet away from them. I only had to spin him twice; he was quite happy to chill out and just hang with the mares! I wish all stallions were as easy to handle as him, and I credit my trainer, Kim Smith, who did all the work on him as a youngster, with making sure he had good manners.

7 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

He's gorgeous. Of course, I always love a black horse.

Mikey said...

He is VERY handsome!!

Shirley said...

Thank you, ladies! He's such a sap, he loves to be told how handsome he is, and thinks admiration is his due.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

He's a gorgeous horse! I love his head and mane. How old is he?

That's a pretty good trick on the spinning, I'll have to remember that!

Shirley said...

Beamer is a trained reining horse, so the spin is work to him. He just turned 7 last month.

kdwhorses said...

Love him!

Give yourself a pat on the back for having a stallion with manners. UGH! You can't have one that doesn't. We have a few friends that have the nicest, most well behaved stallions I have ever seen. Then there are the others!

Love Beamer man, give him a hug and pat and tell him he is a handsome boy!

Michele said...

beamer, come on down to my place and i will give you some yummy treats! :)