Monday, August 25, 2008

Peppy - weaning day

Yesterday was weaning day for Peppy; check out that "Woe is me" look!


I put Gussie in Beamer's winter pen, which has electric fence around the top rail to discourage visiting over the fence, and corral panels set up around the automatic waterer so that she can't visit at the fence there either- she has a tub for water.


Tess, who is dressed in her Sunday bandana, had to have a drink.....

and so did Peppy. Drink lots, little fella, that's all you get from now on! I will keep them separate for at least a month, to make sure that Gussie's milk completely dries up. Poor girl was looking like a milk cow by last night!

I'm really happy with Peppy's disposition, he is so willing and quiet to handle; check out this picture where Iwas scraping bot eggs off his legs.
Can't you just see him when he's all grown up with kids swarming all over him?

I was working on him for about ten minutes, all over underneath him. Of course, I didn't start like this, but he sure didn't mind me working on him. I think this is the quietest colt I've ever raised.

8 comments:

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hi Shirley!
Thanks for the visit the other day. I so love to read about the bygone days! I feel like I "belonged" in that era, more than I do here today! I'll have to check that book out! Thanks!
Now, you have some beautiful horses! Nice bloodline too! I'll have to round up my cowboy some evening when he's not studying (Equine Massage Therapy) and show him this. We have a Dual Pep horse we need to sell. (Want a gelding?? hehe!)
Yep, that Peppy weanling looks like he might be a gem, hopefully his dispostion stays so calm.
I'll come back to visit!
Have a great week.

Linda said...

He sure is a gentle good looking dude.

Tom in Vegas said...

You know, when I view your posts on this blog and read your comments about those beautiful horses of yours, I realize just how little I know about these wonderful creatures.

Shame on me.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who thinks taking care of a horse means simply to let him eat all he wants and run freely knows less about them than I do. And that's saying something!

kdwhorses said...

Love him, little Peppy is growing up!

Look at the hip on him! Man, can we say power!

What a good boy!

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

I love the look on his face in the first picture!

How's he taking the weaning?

Shirley said...

AO, he is doing quite well. He'd not too stressed out, just seems kind of puzzled that he isn't with mama. I watched him the other day with my other mare, Coyote Belle; he was licking the back of her hind legs, then worked his way around to the flank, then tried to sneak in to her udder just in case there was milk there; it was quite funny! Belle didn't mind the licking, but wasn't letting him anywhere near her udder. (She doesn't have milk-she is pregnant with her first foal.)

Callie said...

What a great little boy. And gosh he is gorgeous!

Michele said...

what a handsome little chap he is:)