Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ahhhh, sunshine!

It warmed up enough today to be a few degrees above freezing, so we made the most of it. Ted took the tractor and cleaned out the soiled bedding in the run-in shelter for the mares; after almost a month of stupid-cold, it was ready for a good scraping. (Sassy supervising!)


They had to see if there were edibile bits in the fresh oat straw bedding.

After that I saddled up my boy and had the pleasure of frolicking in the snow- after we posed for a few portraits! I swear Beamer knows that his picture is being taken; he hams it up for the camera-

See? Big smile-

On my face too!

We had a fun ride,trotting and loping through the snow, practicing canter pirouettes like the dressage horses do, checking the back pasture for downed trees on the fenceline (there was one), and just for fun, Beamer wrote his name in the snow!


6 comments:

Mikey said...

Hah! Like that last one :) You two look great!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonderful! you guys look great . I did some of the same ,claening etc ,but didn't get a ride in, maybe soon.

Tom in Vegas said...

That Beamer is a great speller! LOL.

What a beautiful area to live in, Shirley. I know that those frigid temps take there toll, but I wil brave them for the sake of a white and cozy Christmas.

BTW, you stated you were looking for downed trees. What is the significance of this? (I'm a city boy and I don't have the foggiest notion of what things of importance to look out for).

Shirley said...

Tom, we have a lot of poplar trees here. They don't have a long life and tend to rot from the inside out. When we get a big wind, they often snap off partway up or fall over from the base- usually on your fence line, just to be cussed and make work for us! The one one the fenceline that I found can wait till spring to remove as it is being held up by the branches of other trees.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Doesn't the sunshine just change life in general? Doesn't matter how cold it is. LOVE the pictures and looks like you are having an absolutely wonderful day!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's cute. Man, I love black horses. Beamer is a beauty. You must be one tough lady to not mind riding in the snow. I just open the door to let the dogs outside and I'm shivering for an hour afterwards.