Monday, January 19, 2009

Schooling Sassy

With all the lovely weather we've been getting, it was time to put Sassy back in school. She is for sale, and I want to get her riding by spring time. I re-introduced her to the snaffle bit:
On Saturday I ground drove her in the small pen, and yesterday we headed down the driveway with my husband along to help. It was rather like trying to push a wet noodle at times as she wanted to turn back and keep me in her line of vision, but eventually she worked it out.

I'll drive her again this morning, then she gets a few days off. Tomorrow I work at the cattle sale, and then Ted and I are going to B.C. to visit friends and have a little break. We'll be visiting over at Own a Morgan, and I hope to get some good pictures of the horses, and Reba's daughter, Sage, as well as the fantastic scenery there.

Update: When I went to do chores this morning, I had to free Beamer from his bucket- he had backed up to it to scratch his butt and caught one of his tail braids in the handle where it joins the pail. He must have been there for a few hours; he had pulled hard enough to break one side of the handle and pulled a lot of hair out. Poor guy! Note to self: remove empty buckets!

So once I got that sorted out, I drove Sassy again. She moved out much better. We went into the field, around some trees and back down into the driveway turnaround where we did some very nice circles, whoas and back-ups. I finished off by bouncing at the saddle on both sides and putting a little weight in the stirrups. So that'll be our program when we get back; once she is going well at that I'll have to haul her to an arena for the next step.

11 comments:

backattheranch said...

Looks like Sassy is doing good on the ground work. I loved starting my paint this way, it really gives them a foundation. Good Luck!

Callie said...

Tough work, but good job. Good luck withher sale! Sassy is a suitable name, LOL.

kdwhorses said...

Good job! Glad you are getting some free time to work with her.

I had a gentleman (the owner of the grey horse I rode~his brother) ask me last night to break a filly for him. She soon will be 2 years old, great disposition. I'm not sure, I've never broke a horse before.

Janice said...

Hey there looking good. I should put you to work here doing that. Nah I will rather visit, since it will be almost 2 years since we've seen you, ya hooooooo. We don't have a nice spot for what your doing there. Very nice.

dickiebo said...

A picture paints a thousand words. Thanks for the video. Brill.

Anonymous said...

Your making me feel guilty. I should have my youngun'in doing the same thing. Too much winter yet is my excuse..........and I'm stickin' to it!

luvmyhrs said...

She looks great Shirley! You are doing a awesome job with her... I can't remember her bloodlines but I know I seen them somewhere, her and my bay fillies dads are half brothers, or maybe it was full brothers hmm can't remember.. One of the two anyway!

Keep up the good work!!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Your critters look all snuggly warm with their thick winter woolies on too!
The tail hairs attached to the bucket? Cowboy would have me salvadging them..to add to his 'stock pile' for a rainy day
(he'll be waiting a long time as rain in these parts doesn't happen often)

Shirley said...

Tara,on her sire's side she is a granddaughter of Got Pep (by Peppy San Badger)and Topline Eldorado (by Topsail Cody)and on her bottom side goes back to Lucky S Socks and Go Jet Three. A nice combo of cow, reining, and speed!
Barb, I did save the tail hairs- in fact I have a variety of horsehair that I've collected over the years. Does Cowboy do a little horsehair hitching?

luvmyhrs said...

Yup that's right.. Same with my filly but her sire is PC Lil Peppy Playboy who is by Got Pep and out of a daughter of Docs Wrangler.. I knew their sires were either half or full brothers!

gtyyup said...

She's coming along nicely...she looks like she's going to be pretty soft in the face...nice.

Poor guy with the tail/bucket snag...I bet that hurt! They find the oddest things to scratch their butts on and I find tail hair in the strangest places sometimes!