Saturday, January 23, 2010

Me'n'Beamer


Today was cattle sorting day. Unfortunately we got the bad news that Bill Conrad suffered a severe stroke and is hospitalized in Alberta. We wish him a full and speedy recovery and our heartfelt sympathy to his family.
So, without our mentor, we did the best we could. Since only 4 people showed up, we opted for cutting practice- 2 for turnback, 2 for herd holders, and one to work. It worked out quite well and we had a lot of fun. Ted showed up and took photos, so guess what- you finally get to see me on the B Boy!

The youngster on the sorrel was holding herd. These are the roping cattle we use, hence the horns. Beamer loves this job, and frequently he'd be watching for escapees while I was watching the girls ride. Ted said if one got away that Beamer was watching and I wasn't, he'd swish his tail at it,which is what he was doing in this photo:

That horse is Cowy! We got some nice moves from some of the cattle and Beamer is learning that if he stays with the cow, I don't haul on his face or get after him with my legs. ( I gots strong legs, and he knows it!)

We both had a lot of fun. I sure hope I can take a cutting clinic this year, or some lessons. With Bill out of commission, I might have to travel to do that.

12 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh no! I hope Bill will be ok. You look great on Beamer! He looks very focused. I love Beamer!!!


~Lisa

Dusty Devoe said...

Prayers for your friend Bill and his family. You and Beamer look like a great team. I 2nd that! I LOVE Beamer too!!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

How exciting! I get chills when you say that Beamer is watching the cows and gets frustrated when one gets past. Such a smart horse!

Yalla!'s dad is a working cow horse and I can just imagine him in Beamer's place. He's dark too. I'm dreaming of the day that Yalla! is grown up and I'm riding her.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Also, sending thoughts and prayers for your friend, Bill, and his family.

Unknown said...

What a good boy.

I hope bill will be ok and you can have future clinics with him.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Hope Bill will recover quickly. You and Beamer are looking great ! what a team!

cdncowgirl said...

I hope your friend/mentor Bill makes a full recovery.

Glad you got to have some fun. We're being blasted with a pretty good storm so penning is cancelled tomorrow. On the plus side we sure could use this snow (too bad it all came at once though! lol)

Paint Girl said...

Hope Bill will be okay!! Sending thoughts and prayers his way!
Beamer looks good out there with the cows!! That would be so cool to take lessons. One of these days I would like to try sorting. Maybe on that Mustang of mine!!

Anonymous said...

I'm envious!!

Sending prayers Bill's way from here.

Janice said...

You two look great out there. I am so green right now. I hope Bill gets better soon.

Crystal said...

Its good to see some pics of you and Beamer. I hope Bill gets well soon.

gtyyup said...

Healing thoughts and prayers for your friend's quick recovery...

It's really nice to see you on Beamer, and I can tell he's just waiting to get something done! Looked like a great time was had by all too!