Foose wants you to know that you should always start your day with a good breakfast.
Even if it does get away on you!
Followed, of course, by plenty of exercise.
I worked with the fillies again today. Velvet was much better but still has some anxiety when she is away from the herd, and didn't want to give me the feet on her right side- farthest from the brain, right Mrs. Mom? We got that sorted out though. Sparkle is showing me a lot of mental maturity for her age. She doesn't get too upset at being away from her buddies, reminds me of her Grandmother, my good mare Sundee who was never worried about where the other horses were when she was with me.
I saddled Chickory for the third time today. I didn't pussyfoot around, just slung the saddle up like I would on a broke horse. She moved away a time or two, then stood quietly while I took the saddle on and off a few times. So I cinched up and led her out a little. She is turning out to be quieter than I thought she'd be, so I just may start her myself.
Then it was Beamer's turn! My handsome boy was feeling pretty good today, and looking good too if I do say so myself!
I've gone to a milder bit on him. This one is a mullen mouth, which swivels in the center to allow me some good direct rein turns when working the cattle. Bill Conrad told me to use direct rein instead of neck rein when we are learning how to cut cattle, it helps the horse keep his shape on the cow. We stayed out of the mud today- the pasture ice has softened up so that's where we rode. I must say I'm impressed with how sure-footed this horse is. Since he was so full of energy, I made him do some maneuvers like side passing, roll backs, and spins, just to keep his mind occupied. He was pretty relaxed by the end of the ride.
In this photo you can see the high splint he has on his left front leg. I have to do more maintenance on that foot to keep him in balance; about once a week, just a skim with the rasp on the outside quarters.
Have to work the next few days, so I'll be lucky if I find time to ride. But I| should be able to work with at least one of the fillies every day.
I'll leave you with a photo of my Amaryllis, which I got at the Back Country Horseman's Christmas party. It's in full beautiful bloom.
8 comments:
Good shots. That flower is pretty love the colors.
Pretty horses and pretty flowers ! as for Foose... cool cat!
Our little Bug went out for training and Ernie is quite please with how she is going , as it Turns out Wilder has a bit more spark than her under saddle .Just goes to show you never can tell till you try 'em
Your girls and your boy are looking mighty fine... but do they even have winter coats??? lol
Your Amaryllis is gorgeous!
Chickory looks like youve done that a thousand times before, very calm, and Beamer is looking good as always.
This last horse has stolen my heart, what a beauty!
I envy your riding skills and knowledge and hope one day I can just master a trail ride around the farm.
Your horses are looking great and you can send Foose over any time to bunk with me. I love your Amaryllis and have always wanted one....maybe this year.
Those Amaryllis are beautiful!!
Beamer looks great.I really love his cute little head. That looks like a good working bit, the kind I would choose.
The flowers are gorgeous!
Chicory seems like a smart and kind horse. I can't wait to see and read more about her as you get her started with you on her back.
I love Beamer!!!!!!!!
~Lisa
Post a Comment