Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter in the sun

Mama Belle was pretty restless yesterday and wanted to be out of her pen. Since the adjacent pen is still too muddy for little foal legs- don't want to strain those new legs!- the choice was to halter and lead him along with mama to the pen I use for first foal turnout; it's actually Beamers summer paddock. So with a little judicious rearrangement of the other 3 horses because I didn't want to have them pestering us, it was time for baby's first haltering.
A little practice, and the addition of a butt rope so that we didn't have to pull on his head and neck too much, and off we went. He wasn't too sure about the mud, but with a little encouragement with the butt rope he came along nicely- and was even in the lead once he figured it out. Smart boy!
Then it was funny watching him figure out all that space, and that he was s'posed to follow mama- he kept wanting to visit with Ted and me.
After a few tries, and a bunch of stink-eye from Belle, off they went.
This is the best Belle has ever looked after foaling, she really maintained her weight and her coat is dappled and healthy.
First thing on Belle's agenda was a good roll, and then it was time to teach the little fella what those long legs are for.
He got lots of exercise!
He learned to follow mama.
Napping in the sun....
They stayed out until around 3, then Belle was looking to come back in. The leading session went well, and they will go back out this morning.

18 comments:

Kurious Kim said...

Thanks for the updates and pics Shirley. His blaze looks like a sillouette of someone about to give an important speech.

Michele said...

those are very dear photos:)

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirley said...

Kim- his blaze reminds me of Simon Cowell!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonderful! Looks like he got those legs figured out just fine, and is that Reba, supervising in the background?

lisa said...

You sound so proud and with good reason! He is one handsome fellow!

Becky said...

He sure does have nice legs, doesn't he?

thecrazysheeplady said...

What a good momma. And yes, she looks great!

cheyenne jones said...

Sorry I have`nt been around, just catching up! Wonderful foal! Well done Mama!

Crystal said...

He sure is looking good! Love the running pics. How long do you wait before putting him with the others

Linda said...

Belle looks great and he looks gorgeous! Both seem the picture of health and happiness.

Janice said...

Great shots, mom is looking good. I can't get over how big he is.Simon Cowell????? I see Reba on patrol...nothing is going to get to close.

cdncowgirl said...

They even had a guard dog during nap time ;)

I was going to say that Belle looked really good. Nice to see her and baby enjoying themselves.

Mikey said...

He is so cute!!! I just can't get enough baby pics!

whirlwinddals said...

What a gorgeous baby. Congrats!

Prairie Ridge Performance Horses said...

belle sure is looking good, in fact I don't think I have ever seen her carry her weight this well before!!!
Nice Baby!!!

gtyyup said...

Perfect day for his first turn out...look at those legs!

Margaret said...

Love the napping photo... and I see Reba is ALWAYS "on". Ha