Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Answering some questions

My last post had a few questions in the comm box, so here are the answers.
Kate wanted to know where Rio gets his height from- that would be from Coyote Belle's mama, Sundee who was 15.2 hh. She was an appendix quarter horse, so that means Belle and all her foals are too, even though the Thoroughbred is many generations back.
Kim asked if Rio is gelded- no, he isn't. No plans to geld him, in fact I think he'll be standing at stud here in the future; I had two people interested in him as a stallion, and he is good enough temperament and conformation to be a stallion. Hopefully I will be able to get him shown, but even if I don't I prefer stallions to geldings and have the ability and facility to manage him.
Lady Rider asked about Rio's colour, since he shows silver in his tail if he would roan out or go grey- no to both; he is a smokey black, with scattered white hairs all through his coat and both silver and gold with the black in his tail- probably a little rabicano from Beamer's mother who was a very typical rabicano with roaned flanks and a coon tail. Beamer got the silver in his tail and on his lip from her, and it seems he's passed it on to a few of his get.
Gttyup asked if we are keeping Rio- the answer is yes! I can't wait til he's old enough to ride, it will be the first of Sundee's line that I get to ride. She was my bestest mare ever.
Meanwhile, my camera is kaput and I'm seriously bummed! Monday I'm heading down to buy another one, so it's archives until then.

7 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

He sure is a lovely boy!Glad you will finally get to ride another generation form Sundee, you never had the chance with Belle did you?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the answer! I thought there might be some TB lurking in there - both my boys have a fair amount of TB (about 35%), mainly through Three Bars, to go with their classic working QH ancestry, but only Pie looks like he might be an appendix, and he's tall too - I think he's getting close to 16 hands.

A question about color genetics. Red is a normal chestnut, but he's got single white hairs throughout his coat, particularly on the barrel, and while his tail is darker than his body, his mane is mixed dark red, light red and white hairs and the overall appearance is of a mane that is lighter than his body, but not flaxen. What's up with that? I've never owned chestnuts before, so I'm not familiar with the normal color variability.

gtyyup said...

Well, that's exciting to keep him for yourself...and maybe stand him too!! It's amazing that he's already 18 months...how time flies by!!

Shirley said...

That's just variation in the colour. Rio also has those scattered white hairs and I've seen them on other horses. It's not an actual colour pattern nor is the mane and tail variation. Just makes them more unique!

Nikker said...

I love that Rio is third generation "yours"! Even more exciting that he could make a fourth generation "yours" someday!

thecrazysheeplady said...

We'll enjoy watching him grow up!

Margaret said...

I am so glad you are keeping Rio and we will get to follow him! He is a beauty... and hurry up and get that camera! It is a sin for you not to have one!