Thursday, October 11, 2012

More Rio

Today I trimmed Rio's hind feet, so all 4 are good now. He really has nice feet. After that, we headed over to the hitching  rail, and I saddled him up there- the first time he was saddled that wasn't in the round pen after other work. He was pretty good, would have been better if my arm hadn't given out on me (torn rotator cuff) it kinda worried him a little when I was heaving the saddle up and nearly dropped it. But the second attempt was much better. Cinched him up, wiggled the saddle, flopped the stirrups- all good! So we went for a walk, exploring the yard, stopping to graze here and there, mixed in with a few "dance steps" where I stop and back up and expect him to follow my lead without resistance.... not quite there yet but we're working on it. After a bit it was back to the rail to unsaddle; he was as calm as an ole broke horse- good boy, Rio!
Sure wish my camera was working... oh well- here's one from the archives.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

good for him, its always a surprise when something doesnt go as planned. But might as well get over them now.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

What a great boy! Good minded and gorgeous!Ouch on the shoulder , I know that feeling all too well

Janice said...

What a doll....I'll say it again....must be those good genes.

cheyenne jones said...

Sounds Llke Be and you are doping well.

Cheyenne said...

I'm so sorry about your shoulder. That sounds like a pile of NOT FUN!

Glad that big boy is progressing so well. It's always so encouraging to see them respond.

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Great progress! however, the shoulder thing is a little scary -- don't push it....

Linda said...

You've done a good job with him since he was a baby, so I'm not surprised he's like an old broke horse! I still remember his baby tying lessons and I thought then how much that would help his future owners!!

Christine said...

Love the photo even if you wanted to post a new one of the boy :)

Sounds like he's progressing well!