Friday, September 27, 2013

The Draft Horse Show

Last weekend, before my world fell apart, Ted and I went across the border to go to the Idaho International Draft Horse and Mule show. We took Merle with us, and unfortunately they have a rule that you can't take dogs in the grandstand area so we didn't actually see the competition, but there was plenty to see. We got there as the 6 up hitches were finishing and the 8 up hitches were rolling into the ring, and what a sight that is!
These black Percherons were just gorgeous.

This hitch of Belgians pulled in to the barn area after their class.
Lining up to unhitch
The wheel team

The swing team

Oh my!
This little outfit was so cute:

Little meets big:

Then the 8 up mules drove by.



After that we walked through the barns. I'm always fascinated by being up close  to these wonderful creatures, and they are so photogenic.
That's a lot of horsepower!
Some fancy tails:


Of all the photos I took, this is my favorite. This horse just exuded power and presence, even at rest:

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

17 comments:

Mary said...

Wonderful!!

Montanagirl said...

They're all so beautiful! My favorite is the last photo too!

cdncowgirl said...

Oh wow! I would love to see something like that one day :)

lisa said...

That was wonderful, I sure wish we had more things like that around here, but unfortunately the east coast doesn't quite do a lot of things that involve the western sorta of life. Sure we have the occasional rodeo and fair time, but that isn't all that much. I will get the measurements, Shirley for the ponies. Thank you so much, I looked at different places to find pony halters that wasn't hours away to just get too and I couldn't find them any where! I just haven't had time to drive to the closet tack shop to get halters, they came with the web halters and they do not listen with them. I don't know about you but I love my rope halters and I don't use anything else!

Anonymous said...

I've always loved drafts - their look and majesty. Love the big hitches, too, we don't see that much around here except for the Budweiser Clydesdales from time to time.

Brittany said...

Thanks for sharing! The 8 up teams look so amazing!

aurora said...

The work & time that must go into large hitch teams is incredible. Simply gorgeous. Draft teams are sooo powerful, you can feel them before they arrive. I love watching & listening to them!!

cheyenne jones said...

Fantastic!

Mary Ann said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous. They used to have one here at the American Royal every year, but it's gone now... I think. The show is spread out so much, I am not even sure.

Willow said...

Beautiful, now this is real harness bling ~ wait tip I show Honey Bee !!

CDH said...

I just LOVE the sounds! The loud clomp of their hooves, the squeak of the harness and the jingling. Such magnificent animals. And so gentle.

Michele said...

LOVE those big Belgian horses!!!!!!

Crystal said...

Aww I love the draft ponies, specially the Belgians. And the red mules, and the big hitches, one day I will have a team again.

Renegades said...

Draft horses are magnificent animals. The power within them is amazing.

When I was a young girl we fed cattle with draft horses.

Keechy said...

I love drafts so much. We don't get Belgians or mules here in Oz much, or those big six and eight horse setups, so was lovely to see your pics. I do have an old book about here somewhere with BnW pics showing huge side by side hitches of Clydes and Clyde crosses (often affectionately called Clumpers) that were used here in the old days to scrape out soil for new dams. Amazing horsemanship must have been needed to handle such unwieldy hitches.

Ed said...

Very cool..:-)

Janice said...

Great shots. I'm going to have to get my Passport, I have been wanting to see that show for yrs.