Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wednesday's Words: Mix'n'match

Today when I checked up on the status of Belle's milk production I was finally able to call it dried up, so it was time to put the fillies and mares together. It went really well, Stella did not try to suck at all. It was interesting watching the herd dynamics.
Out in the field, they all casually just hung out and grazed.

Stella buddied back up to mama Belle, while Josie wandered off to the far end of the field, and Gussie barely moved from the first spot she hit for grazing.



Notice anything?
Yes my big girl is now sporting our brand! We had the horse dentist out yesterday and I took advantage of the sedation to slap my irons on her. By the way, she had a lot of problems, such big hooks she was unable to grind her jaw at all, he did a lot of fixing and she's a little sore today. I can't wait to see what difference it makes to riding her, but I think I'll give her another day off.
Anyway- I digress-back to my story!
The mares headed back to their shelter to see what I was doing, rearranging the feeders- I digress again, I separated Rio and Nitro into different pens now that the fillies and mares can run together- and I needed the feeder to have 2 separate feeding stations for the girls;
Anyway! once they all came into the shelter, it was interesting to watch little Josie find her place in the herd dynamics. Stella is still her BFF:
her go to gal in times of trouble- the kind of trouble that mama Belle can dish out that is. She soon learned that her best course of action was to keep Stella between her little red self and those big freshly maintained teeth.

Properly put in her place, she was allowed a place at the feeder.

I think Josie will end up hanging out with Gussie, who seems to not mind her, then it will be the reds and the blacks!

8 comments:

CDH said...

I just love this post! Josie is so sweet. Pecking order is such a funny thing in the animal kingdom.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

they all have to find their place.good that the mares are kind overall

Montanagirl said...

Great post! It's true - there's a pecking order in the animal kingdom!!

Small City Scenes said...

Yep---from chickies all the way up to cows and horses everyone has a place. MB

Janice said...

I'm glad she fit in without too much kafuffle.Nice of Stella and Belle to show us how much their butts look alike.Curious...why didn't you brand the youngsters while the iron was hot?

Shirley said...

Because I was at a different place, and I brand with sedation. I hauled the horses to Joannes.

Lori Skoog said...

You sure have some healthy looking ponies!!!!

Prairie Ridge Performance Horses said...

The "Gussie monster" will be back to eating form, very soon!!!