Yesterday was all about Amber. I loaded her up and drove up to my friend Janice's place, where she got to meet new dogs- Janice's 2 collies which are a daughter of Reba and a daughter of Tess- and Tucker, a big yellow lab. Amber wasn't too sure about that! She wanted to hide behind me, but eventually figured it out that they weren't going to pester her. I left her tied up so that she could go in the truck if she wanted, while I spent some time with Janice in her greenhouse.
After that, it was time to take her to meet sheep. We went to the beautiful Pine Butte Ranch, where we met up with George, to assess Amber's attitude and aptitude as a stock dog.
George had his 2 dogs with him; Kate, who is a champion, and her daughter Nan, and he sent Kate out to bring in the sheep. He asked me about Amber, and asked what I wanted to learn about her, which basically was whether or not I would be able to handle this dog or whether she would be too hard headed for me.
Once the sheep were in and penned, George had Kate move them a bit, slowly and quietly, while we watched Amber's reaction. He put her on a 50 ft. string, just in case he needed to get her attention. She did look at them, head down in good Border Collie style, but spent a lot of time roaming around the pen, sniffing all the dried up sheep poo and occasionally stopping to watch the other dogs. While we were doing this, we worked on her recall, which I have been having trouble with. George is very soft spoken, and he would just say her name, and if she ignored him he would give a tug on the string, say her name again, and when she looked at him he would praise her. It worked great; he only had to tug a couple of times before she got it and would come walking back. Everything was kept low key, no excitement and running around.
Meanwhile, the sheep were just standing still, carefully watched by Kate and Nan. After a bit, Amber really started looking at them.
She made no move towards them, just lay there and watched them.
Amber watching, as Kate flanks.
The result of the day's assessment is that Amber is very smart, independent, has natural ability and desire to work. I need to work on her recall, and it's time to separate her from the other collies at home, so that I can keep her focus on me as the one who provides her with the activity she needs, which will help her to get over that independent streak. I also need to get a good lie down on her.
It was a good session. After that, the dogs took the sheep to another field where there are 2 large rocks that George uses as a marker to move the sheep between- practice for moving sheep through gates or panels.
He worked both dogs individually and I found it really interesting that each dog knew when not to work, even though George was giving whistles or vocal commands to the other dog. He says it's all about intent, which is the mental communication between handler and dog. We talked a bit about that, and compared it to horse training where there is a lot of mental communication; but with horses, it's direct; the handler is in physical contact or close to the horse and with dogs you have to be able to have that communication at a distance.
Kate watches while Nan works.
Lovely Kate! She is related to my dog Tess- her mother is Tess's grandmother.
Anyway, I'll work on those basic things with Amber, and probably take her about once a month to keep her looking at sheep, and in the fall, I should have enough basics on her to actually get her started working.
Won't be too much of a hardship coming to this beautiful place!
10 comments:
Interesting and what a beautiful place! When Chance was about 5 months old I looped him to my waist with a bit of clothes line. He had to learn to pay attention to me...his recall improved during that time also. Are you using hand signals? We use a few with Chance just incase he gets hard of hearing:)
I do have Amber on a string a lot of the time, but when people go by on our road (a favourite for dog walkers) if she is loose she won't come, or if she thinks she should stay out an play instead of coming up on the deck.... it's just puppy stuff and she is getting over it, but I'm used to BC's that are totally happy to come running when you call. Amber is just a little more independent than I am used to.
What a beautiful setting! Wow!
We've been taking the pups with us when we move the cows. They are doing great. So much different then our heelers. They are so dang smart. And calm. I am working on my pup spook to bite the face. It sounds awful, but it's very useful and effective.
It's amazing how my older dog and the pup work off each other and with the horse.
I love working cows with good dogs.
I hope Amber works out for you.
Cheri
CDH, Amber is bred to work cows- the breeder is Todd Stoddard in Wayan Idaho- he says her parents work both ends.
I may never get to work cows with Amber, but I think I'll be able to work sheep. The people around here don't use cow dogs- not enough cattle in this valley and small holdings so there is no need. There are sheep locally though, I'd like to have about 6 dog broke sheep for training.
She sure seems to be calm and assured - it sounds like it was a great first.
Tucker was bred to work cattle - but he is far too independent. People aren't important in his life and we have a terrible time getting his attention. However, there are times when he surprises us and listens!
Fun day. Looks like you've got a good mentor & dog!
Great day! I think she'll do just fine. That last photo is breath-taking!
Sure a beautiful spot out there, wold be a lot of fun to keep up with her working sheep and do some trials or something, I always find it amazing what dogs will do.
I love watching the cowboys' cowdogs work the cows. I bet sheep work would be even more fun to watch!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
beautiful area! I can imagine its easy to want to go often!
Post a Comment