Friday, June 13, 2014

I see

Ever wonder about training issues and the horse's vision? Most of us horse people are aware that horses have mainly monocular vision, but remembering that when we are training is another story. We get frustrated when a horse does something well going one way, but going the opposite way it's like it hasn't learned a darn thing. Here is an excellent article (thanks to my friend Carol for posting the link on Facebook)  that explains what the horse can see, and how it sees.  It's interesting to me what it says about collection, and about circling.

3 comments:

Montanagirl said...

I really had no idea. I'm a horse lover from way back, and even broke my own horse when my Dad finally bought me one. But we weren't into the training, or finer aspects. As a kid, I just saddled up and rode.

Michele said...

I'd like to see a video clip of Beamer running :)

Mary said...

Great article! It really puts things into "perspective" so to speak. There are a few disciplines of riding that I wish would take this into more consideration. I hope a lot of folks will read this. I found their inability to quickly refocus very interesting. It's funny how one just assumes everything is seen just as we see it.