Had an interesting ride the other day. Rosalee is in full raging heat, and I wanted to know what she would be like to ride in that situation, so I saddled her up, took the dogs and headed out on the hayfield ride. It started out really well, she had a nice loose walk stride going on, riding into the cool of the evening and the setting sun.
We headed down the road to the left in the photo above- it leads into the hayfield.
Things were still going well, until I stopped to take a photo of the mountains in the setting sun; that's when she realised she could hear Beamer and Coulee in the distance. Not only that- along the dyke off to the south of us, there were cows and she couldn't quite figure out what they were. I guess this was enough to rattle her hormonal mind, because she started wallowing around, then stopped and stared in the direction of the cows- and I couldn't move her neck with the rein- she was froze up. To my experience, a horse freezes up just before some kind of blow up- so I got off. I worked her around me on the ground for a bit, she was definitely not paying attention. I lined her out and headed back, leading her and every 20 feet or so, I'd work her in circles asking for a hip over and back up. I wasn't getting the back up at all and that's where I kind of lost my cool and got a bit mad- I know she has a terrific back up under saddle, and for her not to back up on the ground really ticked me off. Now, I don't like losing my cool with a horse, it's counter productive and doesn't solve anything. In my mind I could hear Buck Branaman and some of the advice he gave us in the clinic, so I kept working on getting to her mind through controlling her feet. I did try getting on her twice more, but she still wasn't with me so it wasn't worth the battle. Once we got home, I rode her in the round pen (safer for me) and worked her until we had everything going smoothly.
I hope she comes out of heat soon. I was told that she has really strong heats and it's difficult to ride her during them; her show owner used to put her on regumate during show season. I am putting her on raspberry leaf and Shayla recommended Sharp Edge Mare Mix so I think I'll try it.
I guess it's my turn to have mares who have difficult heats- I've owned mares for decades and never ever had these issues; in fact I rarely knew when they were in heat.
9 comments:
That's tough, my first mare ever, Bailey. Only way I could tell she was in heat was if there was boys around and she got a little wiggly. But she was always a people horse and a saddle horse and I just thought thats how it was. Been pretty lucky here too all my mares are good and Id like to keep it that way
Lady isn't bad, but she does get more numb, and a little tougher. It's always funny because I'll find myself frustrated with her not feeling my feet or legs, and not being able to really figure out why this switch has happened and then the next day, boom - massive signs of heat. Yesterday I took her out to check pasture with my boss on our stallion, and she was in full blown heat right next to him, he didn't even bat an eyelash - really good boy, but gross mare, I've never had THAT happen to me while riding a mare. haha
I've had mares both ways - some where you couldn't even tell they were in heat, and others that were raging hormonal monsters. I've found the raspberry leaves very helpful for the hormonal ones.
Hormones...that is a tough one hopefully your herbal remedies will work:)
At least you had those words of wisdom bouncing around in your head. Sometimes those words come to me too late. Working the feet is always the best idea. Hope the PMS cure works for her!
When my old mare, Tucker, went into heat, everybody stayed away for 3 days! There was no reasoning with her at all, period!
Meant to add " 1200 pounds of PMS" :-}
A new learning opportunity, altho one you would likely rather not have. Hopefully it's not too problematic & you find something to ease them.
Thanks for the comments over at my blog. Your thoughts jogged my memory and got me thinking. I'm pretty sure, in retrospect, my timing has been off with Leah and I'm missing some important early signals. I should never get to the point of that left blowout. Right answer, wrong timing. I wrote more over there. :) I love your input--you think along the lines I want to go.
Post a Comment