Thursday, August 25, 2016

Together- at last!

Coulee finally has a buddy she can get along with.
I made the decision today to put the mares together; they have bonded really well over the stall fence, they hauled well together and since I don't have back shoes on Rosalee, I figured it was time to put them together. Which also makes it easier if I am gone and my husband has to do the chores.

First job was to tear down the stall, get rid of the corner feeder, move the water tub out so they can get all the way around it; in short, eliminate any place where a mare could get trapped and kicked by the other one. And we all know which one would be most likely to do that!!!!

I had Rosalee in while I was doing all that; Coulee was out on the lawn pasture while I made sure everything was just right. Then I brought her in, led her through it all so she could suss out the changes. I had put 4 piles of hay out so they didn't fight over hay.

There was one moment when Rosalee got told that Coulee was the boss.....
Coulee had just backed up and double barrel kicked, but didn't connect- Rosalee was watching and stayed out of her way.

After that, the pecking order was established.


As you can see, Rosalee is pretty cool with it all, just mosey's out of Coulee's way. Coulee has to check out everything Rosalee does, after all it might be something she wants you know! The part where Rosalee is in the stall near me eating hay and Coulee comes in - after flipping water around- you can see her thinking: I want to chase that yellow mare out of that hay pile- but I doesn't want to get trapped! So I'll pretend I'm checking out the salt blocks... then kind of slide in on the open side and let her know that's MY hay... see mom, I didn't bite her! I could have you know but I was being good!
Meanwhile Rosalee is all la-di-da about it all. Perfect!
Finally.... harmony in my herd.

5 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Perfect. Pecking order established works everywhere :) Hugs B

Kalin said...

Aw, how great! I always get nervous turning new horses out together but it is nice when they have buddies and that pecking order is already established.

Linda said...

Nice. That was relatively uneventful. I put Leah back out after 3 weeks on a diet and she has 3 large gouges from kicks. I think my mare herd is mean. Your two girls will probably benefit from being together.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Eventually they may like each other:)

C-ingspots said...

Pretty darn good, especially for mares!