West Nile Virus has reared it's ugly head in our area. Horses within a 60 mile radius have contracted the mosquito borne disease, which is reported to be fatal in 1/3 of the cases. At least one horse was euthanised, 3 others have died or been euthanised showing the same symptoms but the bloodwork was not done.
Those of you who remember my little Stella Belle will know that one of the things I considered with her was whether or not she had a neurological disease, and had the bloodwork done- which all came back negative. People, if your horse shows neurological signs, get the bloodwork done! At least that way the vets and other horse owners will know if there is anything going on that could be preventable!
Since I don't know the vaccine history on my 2 mares, and I know I haven't done Beamer in 5 years, they all got vaccinated today, and will get their boosters in 3 weeks. Cost for my peace of mind? $214. Worth every penny.
3 comments:
I routinely vaccinate for all the mosquito borne diseases - West Nile and also E/W encephalitis. I also always vaccinate for tetanus and rabies. All of those diseases can be fatal in horses (not to mention I don't want my horses to expose me to rabies). I don't routinely do flu/rhino since we don't travel much or show, unless there's EHV-1 around, in which case I do Pneumabort (which provides some protections against EHV-1) and I don't do strangles (horses usually recover and Red in fact is immune as he had strangles before I got him) or Potomac (vaccine has a low efficacy and can cause reactions). My horses in TN are also vaccinated for botulism, which is fairly common there.
makes good sense
I've been doing the West Nile virus vaccine for the past 7 years or so. It's a more expensive vaccine, but definitely worth it.
Post a Comment