In preparation for the expected snowfall, I finally got some tarps up to act as wind breaks. I don't want to entirely close in the mare's shelter in case one of them needs to escape teeth or hooves. We put up a tarp on the south side; it wasn't quite long enough for the full side but that's ok, that just leaves another escape route while still blocking wind and drifting snow.
Coulee surprised me by being the most curious and least afraid of all the mares. She was right in there supervising.
We anchored the tarp with snow to keep it from flapping in the wind- fortunately, not much wind with this new dump of snow.
Then we added another windbreak by draping a tarp over the corral panels that are set up inside their pen.
Sorry about the blurry photo- still figuring out my new pocket camera- but I included it because it shows just how Coulee got in there, helpful sort isn't she.
Once we got it up and anchored, Rosalee gave it the taste test. Nope, it isn't edible, leave it alone and don't chew holes in it!!!!
Meanwhile. Loretta and Belle stood together at a distance and watched all the proceedings.
We got it done just as the snow started again. Apparently it's mare approved 😤
We are partway through the Pineapple Express snowfall. We have at least 6 inches and it's still coming down. I am sure getting my exercise shovelling! Gotta wear off all those Christmas goodies somehow.
I shovel the path at the horses because I use wheelbarrows to feed with and I don't have monster snow tires on them! Rosalee is always the most impatient, she hangs out at the gate pawing or paces the fenceline.
Beamer was not being helpful at all this morning.
Beamer, back up. I'd shovel right to his feet, he'd back a step. Shovel, step. Repeat. Silly boy.
I think he's as sick of the snow as I am!!! It's coming down really hard right now but the good news is that we have a weather change coming, a week of warm weather without snow. Meltdown.... which could bring floods and where the heck is it all going to go? With paths having snowbanks 5 ft. high I might have to wear hip waders! It will be interesting to see if the ground is too frozen for it to sink in but even if it isn't there will be a saturation point. Stay tuned......
Here is a snow day puzzle to keep you busy.
3 comments:
We're going to be in Hawaii during the melt and I'm nervous about leaving the house and the sitters having to battle flooding. There is so much snow and the ground is too cold to absorb it!
Beamer is a hoot! He could help by moving some snow with his hooves:)
Send us some snow, we would love it!! It can definitely be a pain with chores tho. I remember those days down at the farm when the horses were chest deep in it and we had to create paths just to feed them. I'll have to stop back and give your winter puzzle whirl. Looks like a challenge!
Post a Comment