Thursday, February 16, 2017

Movin' snow and movin' in the snow

Finally got our buddy in to plow us out. One of my major concerns was the snow piled against my hay, I sure hope I don't lose any to mold.
Although I have the top well tarped, the sides are exposed and the snow piled up against them.
Much better! Pretty sure that back bale is going to mold though.
It is raining non stop now, probably for the next few days and nights. Can you say, ice?
I worry about the horses slipping on the ice, but so far there is enough poop/leftover hay where they walk most to give them some traction.
As usual, Coulee is left out in the rain. Poor girl, the only one she can boss is Rosalee, but the yellow mare is accepted by the other mares so she has back-up. I really hate that I don't have a good set up for Coulee, but the plan is to build her a separate pen as soon as this snow pack goes down to a more manageable level, hopefully by mid March.
The rain has softened up the snow, so Beamer took advantage of it to play a bit for the camera.
Only thing is, he played a bit too hard and wiped out....
and then pretended it was all planned ya know!
Silly boy!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Haha Beamer what a guy! And poor Coulee sucks being the one left out. Jess can be pretty nasty to others but shes also the bottom of the totem pole so if she can boss someone she will and she would use the whole shelter herself if she could.
Idealy I'd like a seperate pen for everyone but that's not gonna happen for a while here

C-ingspots said...

Oh how I hate that, when one is left out in the cold. Horses can be so darned ornery! Hoping after all your blasted winter weather mellows out, Coulee gets her private quarters too. Sorry about your hay, but you'll likely lose a few bales to the wet. We could never, ever avoid lots of mold if we didn't store our hay inside the barns. Our climate is just way too wet. We've even (occasionally) lost a few inside due to the amount of moisture in the air. How's that for humidity?

Love Beamer's showy, all-male attitude! Of course he meant to do that!! :)

aurora said...

Glad you got some snow moved. Ice makes me concerned too, horses seem to manage it just fine tho. Horses will be horses, sigh. Poor Coulee :( she will be ok. We do the best we can, especially where mother nature is concerned. Well ya of course it was intentional, Beamer was just busting out "the slide" dance move ;)