Still searching for a barn name for this colt, so fire away your suggestions! I'm getting to know him- he does have a bit of attitude, nowhere near as sweet as Mesa.
I had to halter him today so I could put an essential oil mix on his tight tendons on his right front. If he is still tippy toed by Monday I will see the vet about an Oxytet shot for him I think it is still effective at 3 days old. I did give him an E/selenium shot yesterday and will follow up with another one in 9 more days.
See how that right front he is stepping on his toe? It's because the tendons at the back of his leg are contracted from being cramped up in the womb; that was a lot of leg to fit in there!
There was another reason I haltered him today- heat stress.
See how his nostrils are all flared? It is pretty hot out for a newborn- another reason why I like to have colts in April or May here. It's easier to keep them warm than to cool them off.
So into the stall he went with mama, and I laid a wet towel on him.
I don't hose him or mama off because Belle freaks at the hose spray and I don't need this guy learning that. He seemed to like the wet towel treatment, it must have felt pretty good.
I only left it on long enough to cool him off. Then I put it on Belle- she wasn't overly impressed!
He was quite relaxed after the wet towel treatment, and you can see the difference in his nostrils and how he is breathing. That isn't sweat on him, it's just from the towel.
He has this nursing thing figured out from all angles now!
My horse chiro guy is coming tomorrow morning to work on Belle now that she has foaled out- I'm sure she will benefit especially after having such a big droopy belly for so long.
She was checking out a strange noise from the neighbour's pasture; mama in protect mode!
8 comments:
I think Handsome is a great name:)
Do we know who is daddy is yet? Or do you need to wait for testing?
Karen- I am waiting for the testing to be certain.
Far Side- that's Beamer's nickname and this colt isn't related to him.
Some sort of name referring to movie star good looks I think. :) His coat is a lovely warm gold colour. Hope he keeps it!
Coyote Cognac
His coat is the color of Cognac.
Shiny Ride.
I've been trying to name one of your horses a while now.
Working on it.........looking at Belle's family.
-Firefly fan
(hey, there's a SUNSHINY in Belle!)
Right now I only want a barn name, I won't work on his registered name until I have the DNA results and can be sure of the sire.
He sure has some legs, poor guy to be born when its so hot out but I bet Belle is felling better having him out. Im so awful at names takes me a long time to figure out personality on them and find a name that fits
Post a Comment