The hot days of summer roll inexorably on, with no end in sight for this hot dry weather. We could use some of the rain they are getting in the east; there is a constant threat of fire, with new ones popping up regularly. Fortunately, the local fire crews are on top of it and there is no major threat in this densely wooded, tinder dry area ... yet.
With that in mind, I have been thinking about what my evacuation plan would be. I have a 2 horse trailer, 3 mares, 2 foals and a stallion. I think the mares would be ok as they are on a dry lot - in an all out emergency they could stay right there but I would need to move Beamer as he has huge trees across the fence from him on the neighbour's property.
We live almost at the end of a dead end road, so there is only one way to drive out. However, we do have a pond on the property and a water pump and fire hose, so we could soak areas as needed, and could always lead the horses down to the river or stand them in the pond. This is why I halter break my foals as soon as possible; you never know when you will need them to follow in a scary situation and not blindly run around in a panic.
I have been working with Pistol every day; some days he is better than others. He is pretty sure that he is the master of all he surveys!
I still have to run him and mama into the stall to catch him, but I can walk right up to him there and slip the halter on. He is getting a dose of Peptobismal every day as he has foal scours, and he actually looks forward to it- he loves it! He is pretty good about getting his bum washed too, I can just drop the lead rope (in the stall) and wash and rinse him off.
The following video is this morning after his pepto and washing. He got another leading lesson and I added backing up to it.
He is quite a character. Everything goes in the mouth- reminds me of Rio that way.
Meanwhile, I have been loving up on Mesa, she seems so tiny compared to Pistol. I measured and there is a 1 inch difference in their legs; she will probably be around 14.2 hh and he will be over 15 hands- will have to wait a few months for their leg bones to slow down their growth before I can get a truer measure. Mesa is really bonded to Rosalee; when I put Rosalee in a grass paddock up by our house, once Mesa noticed that she couldn't see aunt Rosie any more she started hollering- and Rosalee got very upset, galloped up and down the paddock and looked like she was about to jump the electric fence to get back to her little darlin'. So.... I caved and put the silly yellow mare back in with Mesa and Coulee. I think weaning time will be fairly easy, Coulee is leaving on the last weekend of August, so I will start separating them around mid August.
I love how dark she is shedding out. She is going to be pretty flashy when her true colour comes in.
5 comments:
Your foals are beautiful, you do such a nice job working with them. Thunderstorms again for us today. It's good to have a safety plan in place. Stay safe!!
Thanks for the videos. It's interesting how he makes it seem like backing up is more intuitive than coming forward, but that makes sense, it's more natural to move away from something irritating than to give to/come to pressure.
She's very flashy!
What a little monkey! :D
Love Pistols sleepy eye look like he would like to ignore you! What a silly boy, he is doing well:)
Post a Comment