Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Day 21- Coulee

I have someone expressing interest in Coulee, and hopefully will be coming this weekend to see her; so it was time to put Coulee back to work, I did ground work with her today, and I must say she wasn't overly impressed to be yanked out of the pasture and put to work.

Coulee was bad at first, didn't want to do anything I asked, just backed up with hard eyes. Finally get her circling and she wanted to hump up and quit and back up. So she got told- literally. I find that talking to her in a no nonsense voice helps her to smarten up.Getting after her with the flag or rope just makes her shut down. But once I got her thinking forward, she was good. She is better to the right than the left. I worked her at a working trot both directions for around 20 minutes, then did some changes of direction with hind end yields and sweeping her front end across, then back on the longe at a walk to finish up good.


Meanwhile Mesa was calling to her, but gave up after about 10 minutes. She had Rosalee for company.
 I did all this on the flat spot near the mare pen so baby would only be about 20 ft. away. I'll be doing this every morning while it's still cool out. It is supposed to get even hotter over the next week- up to 38 C- that's about 100.4 F. Way too hot to be working horses, so early mornings it is.

If all works well I will be have time to ride Rosalee too, I want to do the tires and maze in the saddle.

The neighbour's little girl wants to learn about horses so I showed her some stuff this morning and she got to lead Belle up to her grass pen. I promised her a ride on Beamer in a couple of days.


Poor Belle! She has to be very close, so anyone whose guess is outdated, please update it in the comments!

6 comments:

aurora said...

Aww, that's sweet about the little neighbor girl! Can't blame Coulee, who wants to go back to work after a life of leisure. Glad she came around, faced reality and finished up good.

Linda said...

I love to see when horse crazy girls get some quality horse time. I think I'm still in the running. If I remember correctly, I think I guessed July 9th. Woohoo!

Shirley said...

No- the only person still in the running is Far Side- so come on everyone, guess again! Pretty much can rule out Woodrow, she must be in foal to Winston, so she was pasture bred at the beginning of August. Bay, brown, black, buckskin or smoky brown/black are the colour choices.

Betsy in WI said...

Okay, I'll try again.

July 8, 11 pm, Buckskin colt.

Betsy in WI

Shirley said...

Linda you had the 4th, I'll change it to the 9th for you.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Belle looks very sweet. And very pregnant ;-D. Hopefully soon!