Monday, July 10, 2017

A couple of happy things

Saturday morning, I couldn't stand watching the colt walk on his tiptoe any more so I googled oils for tight tendons and found a blend I could make. 10 drops peppermint, 5 drops marjoram, 6 drops rosemary, 5 drops Aroma Seiz, and 2 drops lemongrass in 2 to 3 ounces of coconut oil. (I use Young Living oils) So I mixed it up, and applied it to his leg from knee to hoof, twice that day. 

This is a before photo:


You can see how he was knuckled over on that right front.

The next morning, I was not sure what I would see, I was hoping for at least some slight improvement. This is what I saw:

Happy dance! I oiled him up again before I let them out of the stall. He was pretty zoomy once that foot worked properly!



The horse chiro was out that morning to work on Belle, he spent about a half hour or more on her and he also did a little work on the colt, in his left stifle where he had been compensating for the tightness in his right front. 
 Now the little guy is just full of himself! He sure is leggy. I am haltering him every day just to get him used to it, he is pretty strong already and I don't want to wait any longer to get him leading. Once he does I'll hand graze him with Belle, who really wants to get out of that foaling pen.


One hind sock, a star and a snip on his nose.


The gal came out to try out Coulee on Saturday, and it went really well. She longed her first and then rode- Coulee hasn't been ridden since last November- and she got to see what Coulee does when she doesn't think she has to work, so I got to see how good a horsewoman she was as she worked Coulee through that. Then she got on, and Coulee tried again, so I had her step off and work her through it on the ground and then when she got back on Coulee was good.


The lady is a good hand, she worked her quietly but was no nonsense, she did everything right and she has good hands and a quiet way about her. I was impressed with her, and she decided to buy Coulee. Once I get a down payment later this week I will consider it a done deal. She will get to take her home around the end of August.
I'm not at all worried about weaning Mesa a little bit early, she is eating good and spends more time with Rosalee than with her mama, and once Coulee is gone I'll turn Belle and her foal in with them.

Day 24 This morning I worked with both foals, with the assistance of NG ; they got haltered and brushed and Mesa got her front feet picked up and cleaned.
Then NG got to have a bareback ride on Rosalee, her first time getting on a horse bareback. She's a good kid, listens well and isn't too timid. She came in boots today 😃.









8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is good progress with his leg - he sure looks big and fine already.

lytha said...

Since I know nothing about foals, I hope you'll explain more about the first steps in their training - haltering, tying, etc. You've already explained how you teach them to hold up their own feet for you, and I appreciate that cuz my horse is weird about his hooves. But how does one take a baby and teach it the most basic things? Do you try to show them from the start that we are stronger, or?

WendyFromNY said...

Wow! Good for you fixing that leg! What is with those eyebrows on that boy, he needs a pair of those big black glasses with the big nose on it! Love his coloring.

Shirley said...

Hahaha Wendy, I was wondering when someone would comment on his black eyebrows! It's just the black showing through his baby coat. He should have a lot of black points when he is all shed out.
Lytha- when I am working with colts this young, they usually don't like to be separated from mama, so I pen them in the stall and slip the halter on the colt. They will usually get a little alarmed and back up, or run to mama. I just go with them, and if I need them to stop I just stand immobile while they get to the end of the rope. They end up facing me which is what I want- if they stop with their butt to me I take the rope around their butt and step back which brings them around to face me. They catch on really quickly. As far as leading goes, I just have him right beside haltered mama, so he naturally follows. I'll try to get some pics. I work them in the foaling pen until I know he will lead without trying to rip the lead rope out of my hands, then I can take them out and let them have some nice fresh grass. They soon get to wanting to be haltered and get out.

Crystal said...

Yay so exciting for Coulee to have a new home that will be so perfect!

And fun girls coming to help with babies and get to ride :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to go! First finding a ix that worked on the colt and then finding a good owner for Coulee! NG sure looks like she is in horse heaven bareback!

aurora said...

Wow, that was fast. Good for you for coming up with a viable remedy to help the leg stretch out. It would be hard for me to watch too. Will have to look Aroma Seiz up. I use all the other oils frequently, for other reasons. Sounds like you found a good home for Coulee, congrats! Hope it all works out for everyone.

Linda said...

Oh, I love it when you find simple remedies and they work! He's gorgeous!! And, I love that last photo of NG. It's quiet and beautiful.