Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Pistol makes progress too

The 4th day of loading lessons went really well. Mesa self-loaded, and I closed the door, she just quietly went about chowing down. No issues. Good girl, Mesa!

This time I made sure I had fresh battery so I could video Pistol, and he did super well! I think his big resistance from the day before helped him to progress to the realization that resistance didn't get him anywhere, and it was much easier to just march on in and get his feed. I barely had time to hit record, and he was loaded!



No butt rope needed yay! I'm hoping he will self load this evening. After he was done eating, I took him for a stroll, his first real walk away from the mare herd.



Beamer is so good with the babies. He should have had a life as a pasture breeding sire. From the beginning, Pistol has always been intrigued with Beamer, always talking to him and responding when Beamer called out to the mares.
Pistol has really come a long way, he isn't nearly as flighty as he used to be. I think he will always require a lot of handling, he won't be the kind of horse you can just pull out of the pasture after a few months off and just go to riding (once he's all grown up!). I think that is because of all the hot breeding on his sire's side http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cd+shiny+pistolena  because we know that Belle's other foals are quiet minded.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good progress with Pistol, and nice pic of him with his daddy.

Good comment about the effect of his breeding on his temperament - Red, who's hot, reactive and also very bossy/dominant, is Doc Bar/Peppy San/double Driftwood Ike on his sire's side. Some similarities to Pistol, and the Driftwood Ike line has somewhat of a reputation for producing horses that can be difficult - they tend to have opinions about what you'd like them to do.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pistol did great! Miss Thea must have had him worried a bit, Miss Thea listens to you so well! Your Beamer is so handsome!!:)

Crystal said...

I had a dual pep she was lazy and I was told a lot of his foals are. Athletic but lazy lol. Not as sure of the CD horses but they are althetic as well.
He sure jumps in nice now

Linda said...

Good job, Pistol! He seems to be doing very well for his young age! What a beauty he is, too. Beamer is one of a kind.

Shirley said...

Kate- Beamer is not Pistol's daddy, he was sired by a stallion of Fleetwood Farms in Alberta.

T.L. Merrybard said...

He has a lovely neck for a baby, and that eye!