Mesa is finally gaining weight post weaning.
Today, I decided it was time to work on teaching her to stand tied- prior to teaching trailer loading I like to have them to have a bit of understanding about restraint and give.
I like to make the right thing easy, so while she is quietly eating her foal ration, I had her haltered and loop the lead rope around the corral panel.
I am also keeping her haltered at feed time so that she doesn't chase Pistol out of his ration, as his weaning time is rapidly approaching.
After Pistol was done and I put him back in with his mama, and Mesa was done eating, I hung out with her and let her feel the rope holding her in place. She did very well, I love the calm mind on this filly. I let the rope run out as she moved, and also used it with the rope around the butt lesson that she learned as a wee baby to encourage her to step into the pressure and give herself slack. All in all, a good lesson .
5 comments:
She certainly doesn't seem too fazed by the new concept. I see Rosalee was supervising :)
Great video! Look how little mud you have on your horses' hooves/legs! I envy your dust. Not your fire risk. My husband just ordered another load of wood chips because it's almost impossible for me to walk around now.
The way you teach your foals to tie is what I do out in the woods because I don't really trust my horse yet to hard tie in strange locations. It takes a longer rope, but it really works. They think they're hard tied but they're safe.
Good work! She is smart! A lot of foals would pull back harder when they feel that pressure, but she thought about it and chose to give. I'm impressed.
You have helpers, Miss Thea and Rosalie:) Fun to watch the video, Mesa is a keeper for sure, I love her color:)
She seems confused that she cant get to you. But she did good.
Post a Comment