Today he was integrated into the whole herd. I just opened the gate of the foaling pen, and he and mama strolled out and joined the herd. 4 weeks of them visiting over the fence and establishing their pecking order that way worked well. There was no drama.
Other than Mesa getting the stink eye, that is!
He was quite interested in Gussie.
She laid her ears back one time and he respectfully walked away.
Mama Belle had a really soft look to her, as if to say all was right in her world with a foal in the herd.
This afternoon when I brought Rosalee and Tumbleweed in for the night, I spent some time working with him. He decided to play hard to catch, so after a while I got tired of that game and flipped his lead rope up on him and caught him with that before haltering him. He was a bit put out that he had to work! I ended up using the butt rope on him. I wanted to get some medicine on his tummy as he has the runs, I mixed some DiGize oil with coconut oil and put it on his tummy. He was pretty ticklish there! But I had him against the wall so he just had to deal with it. Then he pouted about being led, hence the butt rope. I also worked on touching and lifting all 4 legs, still keeping that handy butt rope in place. He didn't kick out this time when I worked on his hind legs like he did the first two times. So it was a pretty good session. After that I figured since it was a rope kind of day that I'd do some rope work on him.
The first part of the video I had the camera hanging around my neck, the second part I was holding it- sorry if it's a bit bouncy!
He did really good! I plan on haltering him every day and will be introducing him to foal ration over the next few days.
4 comments:
Love it! I think he did great and all the work you put in made it easier for me to catch him today. He’s very smart. I think he even remembered me. Thanks for letting us invade. We’ll give you a breather for a while and let you be his mama without interruption. ❤️
Good herd dynamics! Fun to see them all together well except for Beamer:)
What a cutie! Mesa looks so big compared to Tumbleweed. I've missed sooo much not having internet at home...can't wait to get connected, so I can read & see whats happening at my fav blogs!
He really is a cutie! Glad there was no drama with the intro.
Post a Comment