It had been about a week since I had done much with him, so I figured it was a good idea to do more daily work with him. The next day I haltered him and mama and led them out on grass. He is pretty good when he is with her, I guess it just makes sense to him to follow her.
The following day they got turn out; I don't turn them out on rainy days but it had dried up enough to let them loose.
Today I stepped it up a bit and caught him and worked in the pen without having mama haltered too. It was pretty obvious that he is a left sided horse, he wanted nothing to do with seeing me out of his right eye. So... guess what we worked on.... I spent about 15 minutes working with him, used the butt rope so he couldn't just back away from me, or his other favourite trick of putting his head up and swinging his butt to me while stiffening his neck. Once he was calm about me being on the right and leading him from the right, and standing quietly, I turned him loose.
Then this evening at chore time, I caught him again just to make sure that he had absorbed the things we worked on earlier..
And look at that... he remembered and was pretty much good with it, except for the little backing up spree. It is so important to use the butt rope with foals when they don't quite get things, it seems to connect their body to their brain. You don't need to keep it on the whole time, just enough to get them thinking.
I have filed his registration now, should get his papers in a couple of weeks. It took a while to capture that 3/4 pose they want for the papers but I think I nailed it with this photo:
It's probably the one that will go on his papers. I am excited to see what his colour will look like once he sheds all that baby fuzz! You can see hints of the dark from his knees down and the wither patch of darker hair. The leg stripes are faint right now, hopefully they will be more visible once he sheds out, probably around August.
5 comments:
You’re so good with him. There’s a lot to know training foals, and I can see it takes a lot of patience, too. We had to use butt ropes a lot on a couple of our weanlings, but I barely remember that anymore. I do remember the first time we tried to get one of them into a stall my trainer and farrier, who were married, joined their hands behind him, making a rope with their arms, and pushed him safely in. I have that in video somewhere.
Tom Dorrance talked a lot about left side dominance with his foals and how he did everything on the right to compensate. Very wise of you!
I can’t wait to come visit and learn your tricks! I’m going to need all I can get. 😀
Why do they want a 3/4 photo?
Lytha, they ask for several views: left side, right side, rear, front and 3/4 so that all views of the horse are on file. They normally use the 3/4 view for the certificate as it shows most of the horse's markings.
So cute especially the running around video! He can turn on a dime! He is so cute! :)
I’m going back through all these posts as we come up to his first birthday. His basic personality is still very much there. The gelding has really changed him though. His brain has kicked in. In fact, he’s now Cowboy’s boss, and he takes his job very serious. 😂 He’s a kind and wise boss.
Post a Comment