Saturday, June 30, 2018

New stuff for Tumbleweed

His little cuteness is getting easy to catch and lead now, and is finding his independence from mama.
I thought I'd take a couple of videos just for fun.

This first one is walking up to him, bringing him out of the pen to eat his ration.


This one is where I decided to take him for his first solo walk away from the other horses. He wrapped around me a lot, but I just went with him. He did really well! But when I put him back in the pen he got in a hurry and you will see how that turned out.


I like that he doesn't panic when things go south. He does quite well, doesn't lose his mind.
He's a fun little fellow to work with. 😤

6 comments:

Linda said...

He did awesome—even the whole winding himself into a spool. 😂 He gave it a good try for you! Can’t wait to see him Friday. ❤️

lytha said...

When I was 19 I worked a few weeks at a TWH show barn. What I saw there, the horrors. One of them was how they dealt with breaking in the foals, keyword BREAKING. They'd wrap a youngster in ropes/leather lines and put him in his stall completely entangled, just to show him that it's no use. If they survive that, they come out completely numb/dead to the world. This barn did not practice soring, but I saw plenty of other things.

Oddly, the owners truly loved their barn full of black horses. That reminds me, the barn was called Black Watch Farm, Renton Washington. It was there I experienced the smoothest ride of my life on a TWH. I totally get why people love TWH, no bounce at all. I'm gonna get one when I'm too old to trot.

Speaking of resigned expressions in horses, when I was in Seattle in April, my parents had John Wayne movies on. I never noticed, as a kid, how dead the horses' expressions were until now. In contrast, I'm watching Lord of the Rings and all those horses' eyes are fine, not thrilled about "going to war" but not dead like the John Wayne ones. ("I know I'll be jerked in the mouth and spurred at the same moment any second now...") Have you ever noticed that? I wonder what changed in animal treatment/training in Hollywood over the years.

aurora said...

Looks like you've got some eager helpers with the little guy! You've really mastered taking video. I am impressed you can handle horses young & old, gates, etc and video at the same time! Not me, you would be seeing frequent random ground/sky/hands and hearing "whoops" or some other four letter words.

Shirley said...

Aurora it helps that I'm left handed and most cameras are built for right handed people.

Far Side of Fifty said...

He did great, love your musical gate...he is coming along quite well...even entangled in the lead rope. :)

White Horse Pilgrim said...

He seems a bit like my mare: default position is to find something to eat.