Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Rope work and what am I up to now....

I have changed up my routine a bit; Belle and Gussie go out on pasture in the mornings and Mesa stays with Rosalee and Tumbleweed so that I can give them their ration. Rosalee gets tied up while the littles eat.
T'weed is happily eating his ration now, although he loses interest after a few bites.


I also do some work with him; leading and touching him all over including his tickly belly and touching his legs all over. He still isn't really good with picking them up so I decided to do some rope work with him today.

(Sorry about my loud breathing, I have issues!)
He is getting easier to catch too, although tomorrow will be a day off as I have some early morning traveling to do- and a surprise to share afterwards- so Friday I will be catching him in the mare pen instead of running them all into the foaling pen. 
Mesa is starting to put weight on and is looking really good! She does need work though, she has gotten a bit opinionated about where she should and shouldn't go. She likes to get out for hand grazing but doesn't want to come back in (can't blame her!) 


Rode Gussie yesterday, and she surprised me by refusing to go into the bush. There are bad skeeters and horseflies right now. You know how sometimes you get a feeling just before a ride that things may not be just right- well that's how I felt and not sure if Gussie picked up on it, but she was quite certain that we should not be taking that trail into the bush- who knows, could have been something in there that I didn't know about but she did- and I always trust my gut so I gave her some trotting work in the round pen, then up to my schooling spot. 


She was quite happy to work, no issues. Pretty sure she wasn't just giving me attitude and that she felt there was a legitimate reason not to go down the trail. 
I had a nice ride, working on some lateral stuff that is a bit more advanced. Picking up a bend like you do when you are sidepassing, how you arc away from the direction of sidepass, and then hold the same arc and sidepass into the direction of the arc. So pick up a left arc, sidepass to the right, then hold the arc and sidepass to the left. Easier to do in an arena but she did well out in the open.
She is holding her body much better now but I think she still needs one more body work session. 
I do love this mare!


I love that I can go out to the pasture with a halter and she walks right up to me. I guess she is happy too.
Riding day 31

4 comments:

Linda said...

Walking right up to you in pasture is the true test! I love it when horses do that, too. Cowboy does, Leah often does, Bee is lucky to just stand still, but I hope that changes soon.

T'weed is so cute. I miss that little guy! I love the work you're doing with the rope.

Mesa is looking good!! I thought that photo was of Beamer. lol.

aurora said...

Interesting rope work. No clue how you work with the horses & video at the same time. It sounds hot there, because you know, heat has a sound ;) There must have been bears in them there woods?!! No need to press the situation, and you did some other nice stuff with her. I am sure Gussie is loving being your girl again!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Mesa is really looking good, sure can tell who her Daddy is:)

aurora said...

I keep checking back to see what the surprise is, your killin' me lol!!!