Friday, February 25, 2011

From ugly to lovely

Well, it's still cold out, but the sky cleared, the wind stopped, and I'll take the sunshine even if it does come with a big chill!
The wind blew all the seeds out of my bird feeders, and moved Beamer's shelter off it's foundation about 8 inches. Good thing it was tied down to the panels and trees around it or it would have gone sailing!
You can see in this photo how far this 6X6 slid; that piece of rebar was up against it to keep it from sliding the other way. Ted pounded it into the ground to make it safe. Come spring, we plan on demolishing both of the shelters; they were originally meant for cattle, and they are very shabby.
After the last couple of days being holed up in the house, it was so nice to be out in the sun, so I spent some time after work playing ball with the dogs as the sun set
Got lots to do tomorrow including hauling hay, cleaning the mare pen, plowing the driveway from all the wind driven snow, and I've got a couple of horses who'd probably enjoy getting out of their pens on a ride, and Velvet needs another session at the patience post. Have a good weekend folks!

13 comments:

Susan said...

Yea, that wind was brutal. We also finally got sunshine without wind. And it looks like we have about the same amount of snow.

Linda said...

Yikes.....that was a bad one! I love the clear blue sky though.

Crystal said...

Wow that sounds like quite a storm!! We are supposed to be windy tommorow, when the high of -3 with a windchill of -29 you know its gotta be awful windy.

lisa said...

That is some wind! I know how that is! We got probably around 14 inches of snow and now the wind is supposed to pick up brr. The sun sure looks nice! The dogs also are enjoying it I see.

Kimberley said...

I'm glad we aren't the only ones in the deep freeze! It is terribly cold here right now and the wind is blowing, I can't even imagine what wind chill is; -40 to -45 would be my guess. Yuck!
You must have had one wicked wind to blow that shed that far!

cheyenne jones said...

I`ll never complain about the cold here ever again!!!Promise!

aurora said...

It's cold, but it's beautiful!

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, the wind really moved that sucker! Mother Nature can do some powerful things. Very scary. Glad no critters were injured.

Also from the other post, glad you caught the issue with the water before pipes were broken. I'll be glad when this winter is done.

Dreaming said...

Yup, know that wind. I had to use a porta-potty today at the lesson barn. I noticed that they had a wire anchoring it - good thing because with gusts of 40 mph I could have been 'Gone with the Wind'!

Shirley said...

LOL Dreaming!

gtyyup said...

Wow...you really got hammered with the winds...hope you can get everything back where it's supposed to be without too much trouble. Wind sucks!

Janice Grinyer said...

whoa... glad no one was hurt...Youve had a very long winter and i wish spring would come very soon for you !!! and me too lol!

Janice Grinyer said...

whoa... glad no one was hurt...Youve had a very long winter and i wish spring would come very soon for you !!! and me too lol!