Old churches and graveyards- I did manage to meet the challenge this week. This first church is on the Reserve south of Creston; I always think it's sad to see a church all boarded up.
I love bell towers, and the sound of church bells ringing.
When I went to Bonners Ferry, I found this old church; it's still in use as a community church. The building next to it, which I didn't photograph, had a window papered over and a yellow police type ribbon on it that said "warning; this house is haunted". I didn't stick around!
We do have an old cemetery here which has some neat old graves in it.
This one must have been a war vet. I found the cross and flag to be quite touching.
20 comments:
I love those small churches, reminds me of the ones in Fort Steele! It is too bad it is boarded up. The haunted story was kind of creepy, hopefully it was just to keep people away!
Very cool shots, seems the smaller churches are more beautiful in their simplicity..:-)
Beautiful shots. :)
nice shots. Creepy! yellow warning tape about ghosts? That's a new one!
Love the old iron fence around the old grave. Great selection!
A lot of history here.
Oh, come on, I want to see the haunted house! The church is pretty. Sad to be boarded up though.
What a lovely blue color on that church, something rarely seen!
Lovely! I agree there is something sad about a church boarded up, that first pic hurt my heart a bit to see the doors barricaded.
I too hate to see churches boarded up. That was a pretty neat church. Maybe someone will buy it and fix it up again. I love the pic with the headstone inside the old fence...nice~
great collection of photos. The first photo has a story behind it!
I like old country churches.....that first one is great...don't know if I would attend a church next to a haunted house?
I have to agree with you about how sad it is to see a church boarded up. You did a great job of accenting how forlorn the church is with your lack of color. A sad church... a sad day.
Wonderful photos. I've always liked churches with tall steeples. I, too enjoy visiting old graveyards to explore and learn a little about the people who lived there and those that loved them. I like the personal touches on the tombstones or markers.
~Lisa
Interesting shots, and I don't blame you for not sticking around!
Black and White suits that first church photo..I don't like to see them boarded up either. The cemetery photos are touching..:)
You are right you met the challenge very well.
uhmm I think to appease us all, you have to go back and take a photo of the haunted house... :D
The shots are perfect; you told a story within each frame. I too dont like seeing wonderful old churches boarded up - but what tweaks me a little more is seeing old churches used for something else; like an internet cafe or something. having traveled around and been in old churches for service Sunday mornings, where the congregation is singing together "how great Thou art" with just a piano, is the memory I like to think of...
That church is too pretty to be boarded up. I saw another one down the road from Rearden, just yesterday, that was also boarded up and grown over. I told my husband--how sad....someone should paint it and clean out all the weeds around it--it sure would make the area prettier. Those churches are history.
Post a Comment