Friday, February 4, 2011

Hurry up and wait

The farrier was here yesterday, and all the horses are sporting freshly trimmed feet. And they were all good too! Velvet got a little bored by the last foot, and Beamer fidgeted a little too, but over all I was pleased with them. The farrier said that they are all looking good, no problems, and that the shape of Beamer's left front is finally starting to change for the better; not so narrow, the new growth is wider and more open. Another year, I figure, till it's right.
I'm hoping to get some time in with Chickory this weekend; just a little reminder of what it feels like to have someone on her back. And I might be able to take Velvet for a walk, she is a little bored with working in the small pen.
I'm excited to report that I have someone who is very interested in Velvet, and after a lot of emails, I believe it will be a really good home for her, and sometime in the next couple of weeks she'll come and meet Velvet. Meanwhile, more good news, Ted will be able to go get Gussie within the next week, so you will all get to see some mother/daughter photos. Yeah! can't wait! The last winter storm that hit Alberta wasn't conducive to hauling horses, but I think we'll be ok next week.

Anyone remember her? I took this photo in the summer of 08, she would have been packing Velvet in her belly at the time.

8 comments:

IanH said...

Very nice looking horses!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

remember and like! I tell you ,it ius best I couldn't find a way to pick her up , she might have wound up ,well not quite as far south or west as you wanted!lol! Such a nice mare

Janice said...

Nice look'n girl bet you're getting excited.We will have to plan some rides.

cheyenne jones said...

Great looking horse, it`ll be good to have her back!

Linda said...

Hope to see some pictures soon. It's warm here the past couple of days but we did get a rain last night instead of a bunch more snow.

Rising Rainbow said...

You must be proud of your herd being good for the farrier. It's always a plus when everyone cooperates cause you know, despite all your work, they are horses and sometimes just don't do what they're taught.

I'm always glad when we're done with the farrier. The horses are usually good but the standing around holding them makes me so cold this time of year but it is a nice sense of accomplishment when it's finally done.


Nice mare! I do remember her but not her name, I am so bad with names. She makes nice babies too. That's a huge plus.

Dreaming said...

I agree with Rising Rainbow about being glad the farrier has finished his/her job. But, it isn't just the weather (too hot, too cold, too windy, etc) but I have one horse who is just a pest, and it seems that I'm always holding my breath and praying he'll be 'good' so the farrier doesn't get ticked off and refuse to come! We've been working on standing and he's getting better...but the tension is still there (and that, by itself, is probably part of the cause)!
I find your comment about another year of hoof growth being needed to take care of an issue interesting. I have the same issue with one horse..and I find it funny that we expect changes in some things to happen very quickly, but we realize hoof issues may just take time... a lot of time.
Good luck with Velvet - can't wait to see Gussie.

Shirley said...

Hey, Dreaming, you got that right! We do tend to want change quickly, and being impatient around horses is a sure fire recipe for disaster. One thing I've learned is to increase your expectations with your horse, otherwise you stay at the same level.Every little thing they do that is an advancement becomes the benchmark for the next lesson.
The best blogger to get advice from on training your horse for the farrier is Mrs. Mom from Oh Horsefeathers blog.