Saturday, February 19, 2011

Riding the redhead

Sunny it was, but a bit of a biting wind too, but that wasn't enough to keep me from riding- just meant I had to don my chaps and hat to stay warm. Todays ride was a little longer, we went out on the hayfield . Gussie still is doing that little shuffle, and I keep asking for a nice free moving walk. She feels like she has some anxiety, and is herd bound. She never used to be like that so I'm assuming it's just from the disruption of coming to a new place and re inserting into her old herd. I think she'll settle down. I'd like to get her to do that shuffle only when I ask, because it is super comfortable to ride, just like floating along. I've always said that Gussie is the smoothest Quarter Horse I've ever ridden.


We found a coyote trail as we rode along, so I changed direction- I didn't want to come across them and get my dogs in trouble.
Looking north
The sun was so bright I was wearing my sunglasses today.
When we got back I asked for some work; turns on the haunches, sidepass and rollbacks. She's a little rusty as she hasn't been ridden since June of last year, but she sure is light! She will turn with just a little pressure from my calf, no rein or bit pressure needed.  She pops out of the turnaround about 3/4 of the way through, but we can build on that. I need some arena time!

5 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

The good training she had wit you is oviously still there,but june is a while ago, so a little refressher wont hurt.Glad you are enjoying having her back

Kimberley said...

You have a nice flat area to ride! I don't have any flat places to ride and I live in Saskatchewan!
It sounds like Gussie is doing pretty darn good for not being rode in almost a year! It won't be long and she will be right where you want her to be!
From your side bar picture she sure looks gorgeous!

Shirley said...

Kimberley, tha area I live is called the flats because it used to be lake bottom. Kootenay lake is just a few miles north, and this all used to be marshland until it was drained with a canal and dyke system many years ago so that it could become farm land. They grow amazing hay and grain crops down here. What I'm riding on is a section of land used for alfalfa mix hay.

Linda said...

I'm so glad she's doing well, you did it right from the start!

Janice Grinyer said...

What a ride she must give you though - sensitive like a thoroughbred! it will be interesting to see her after you put some miles on her...